ConflictClarifier

متتبع أزمة إيران-الخليج 2026
CC
Events Archive
strikeAug 18, 2026

Drills cut by Trump are central to the US-South Korea alliance

Summary

Drills cut by Trump are central to the US-South Korea alliance The United States and South Korea have regularly conducted military drills to prepare for potential conflicts with North Korea SEOUL, South Korea -- For decades, the United States and South Korea have regularly staged military drills to prepare their soldiers to work together smoothly in the event of a crisis or conflict with North Korea. But this year's Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise, one of the two main drills conducted by the allies annually, could be disrupted after U.S. President Donald Trump ordered his Pentagon chief to “substantially” scale it back just before its start Monday. He cited what he said was a good relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and South Korea’s refusal to join the U.S. war against Iran. It was unclear what parts of the 11-day exercise were being cut and to what extent, but many experts say Trump's move threatens to hurt combined U.S.-South Korean readiness and eventually weaken their decades-long alliance. The Ulchi Freedom Shield, or UFS, is a computer-simulated tabletop exercise meant to hone the allies' ability to deal with potential regional security threats like North Korean aggression. The two countries usually hold field training exercises during the tabletop exercise period. South Korea's military had earlier said this year's exercise would be similar in scale to previous years, with the participation of about 18,000 South Korean soldiers. The U.S. military said it would incorporate lessons from recent conflicts such as North Korea’s battlefield experiences on the Russia-Ukraine front. Local media reported South Korea and the U.S. had planned 14 field training exercises. The UFS, along with a similar joint war game in the spring, is a central pillar of the U.S. -South Korea alliance, which dates back to the 1950-53 Korean War. But it's also a long-running source of tensions with North Korea, which has denounced the exercises as a rehearsal for war and responded with provocative missile tests. Last Friday, North Korea's Foreign Ministry accused the U.S. and South Korea of plotting more provocative drills this year and vowed to respond with “a new level of a deterrent.” The U.S. and South Korea have said their regular drills are defensive in nature. In a social media post, Trump called the exercise costly, "with much of these costs paid for by the United States of America.” During his first term, Trump complained about the cost of drills with South Korea, suspending joint exercises in 2018 to advance now-stalled nuclear negotiations with North Korea. Gen. Xavier Brunson, commander of about 28,500 U.S. troops stationed in South Korea, visited South Korean Defense Minister Ahn Gyu-back on Tuesday for talks likely focusing on the adjustment of this year’s drills, according to media reports. South Korea’s Defense Ministry said it couldn’t confirm the report. Yang Uk, an analyst at Seoul’s Asan Institute for Policy Studies, said the U.S. will likely participate in the tabletop exercise but cancel “some costly field training that requires large-scale movements of troops." Yang said that a downsizing or suspension of military drills matters because commanders of the allies change periodically. He said a one-year suspension of drills would see commanders unfamiliar with procedures of those drills taking part when they resume. Jung Chang Wook, head of the Korea Defense Study Forum think tank in Seoul, said Trump’s step could result in the U.S. downsizing other regular drills with South Korea, posing “a big, crippling blow” to their joint operation posture. Lee Illwoo, an expert with the Korea Defense Network, said downsizing the exercise will likely delay the planned transfer to a system in which wartime operational control would be exercised by a binational command led by a South Korean general. Under the current system, the U.S. military would command joint forces in the event of war. The South Korean and U.S. militaries had earlier said the exercise would be an opportunity to support preparations for the transfer. South Korean President Lee Jae Myung on Tuesday stressed the need to complete the transition during his term that ends in 2030. Many South Koreans view the transition to South Korean leadership of the combined forces in wartime to be a matter of national sovereignty, but others worry that could weaken the alliance.

Actors involved

USIranUNRussiaUkraine

Sources

  • ABC NewsBy ABC News

    Drills cut by Trump are central to the US-South Korea alliance The United States and South Korea have regularly conducted military drills to prepare for potential conflicts with North Korea SEOUL, South Korea -- For decades, the United States and South Korea have regularly staged

See this event through different lenses

Compare how Western, Iranian, Israeli, Global South, and Pro-Peace perspectives frame this event.

Compare Perspectives

Community Notes

Community Notes

Loading notes...

Related events

strikeUnverifiedUSIsraelIran
1 source

TEHRAN: Iran's armed forces on Wednesday (Aug 19) warned Gulf countries against assisting the United States military, saying it would be tantamount to joining American military operations. "We wish to warn that any assistance or facilitation provided to the aggressor US military amounts to participation in the US military operation," armed forces chief of staff Ali Abdollahi said, according to Iran's Mehr news agency.

War between Iran and the US broke out on Feb 28 after US-Israeli attacks on the Islamic Republic, which retaliated with missile and drone strikes including on US bases across the region. "It seems unlikely that such a large number of military aircraft, particularly refuelling aircraft, could be present at regional bases without knowledge of host countries," said Abdollahi.

"The countries bordering the Persian Gulf, which have issued various statements saying they would not allow the US to use their territory against Iran, should know that we are fully aware of the situation." The warning comes as the USS George Washington aircraft carrier is being redeployed to the Middle East to relieve the USS Abraham Lincoln following reports of deteriorating living conditions for its crew.

Location: Tehran
strikeUnverifiedUSIsraelIranProxyUN
1 source

The Iran conflict has highlighted divergences between the United States and Israel regarding the political conditions and timing for concluding military operations, despite extensive tactical coordination. While U.S. forces recently paused strikes as diplomatic efforts intensified, the episode suggests a lack of established mechanisms for managing escalation and campaign termination.

Location: Israel
strikeUnverifiedUSIran
1 source

FTSE 100 Live: Stocks to fall as oil jumps after Trump claims Strait of Hormuz Welcome back to the City AM liveblog. Oil prices are surging higher for the fourth consecutive session after Donald Trump declared the Strait of Hormuz as US territory. Brent crude – the international benchmark for oil prices – was climbing towards $92 as there was little indication the narrow waterway was to be reopened, keeping pressure on supply.

It comes after Trump shared a crude map of the Middle East with a large blue circle over Hormuz on Truth Social as he declared the vital shipping route as “NEW US territory”. “The Naval Blockade remains in full force and effect”, the President said.

“The Hormuz Strait is open and operating. All water mines have been removed or detonated”. Concerns around shipping through the strait has remained high despite Trump’s claim that the waterway is open and mines have been cleared. Limited traffic has continued to pass through the strategic route while Iranian forces have intensified hostilities.

Eight attacks on vessels transiting Hormuz, including ships linked to the UAE and Saudi Arabia, have been reported so far this month. In the US, crude inventories have fallen by 328,000 barrels over last week, following an over 9m barrel increase in the previous week.

Trump confirmed earlier this week that there are “no talks or conversations going on, or scheduled” with Iran. Meanwhile his US Special Envoy Jared Kushner, who is also the President’s son-in-law, said Iran is ”not showing any interest” in a deal proposed by the Trump administration.

We’ll be bringing you all the latest analysis and updates.

Location: Strait of Hormuz