ConflictClarifier

متتبع أزمة إيران-الخليج 2026
CC
Events Archive
humanitarianAug 17, 2026

Taiwan set to unveil record trillion-dollar defence budget

Summary

Taiwan is determined to strengthen its defences and plans record defence spending next year, President Lai Ching-te said on Monday, describing his government's military budget proposal as an investment in peace. Taiwan's cabinet will unveil next year's budget on Thursday, including a breakdown of where defence spending will go, but Lai confirmed media reports that 2027's overall defence budget would exceed TW$1 trillion ($31.40 billion) for the first time. His announcement comes as China, which views democratically governed Taiwan as its own territory, has ramped up military and political pressure over the past few years to assert its claims, which Taipei strongly rejects. But Taiwan also faces calls from Washington to spend more on its own defence, mirroring US pressure on Europe, something Lai has enthusiastically embraced. Addressing a meeting about next year's budget, Lai said defence spending in 2027 would reach TW$1.1225 trillion - exceeding three per cent of gross domestic product, according to a transcript of the remarks released by his office. He said this, "demonstrates Taiwan's determination to strengthen its self-defence capabilities". "Investing in defence is investing in peace; we will continue to build a more solid defence force to maintain peace and stability in the Taiwan Strait and the region," Lai added. Taiwan's government has made military modernisation a key policy platform and has repeatedly pledged to spend more on its defences, including developing made-in-Taiwan submarines, given the rising threat from China. China's military operates almost daily in the waters and skies around Taiwan, and Beijing has also been honing new tactics, such as coastguard "law enforcement" patrols off Taiwan's east coast in the Pacific Ocean. William Chung, an assistant research fellow at Taiwan Defence Ministry think-tank the Institute for National Defence and Security Research, said China's east coast activities were not only aimed at exerting psychological pressure, but also combat training and intelligence gathering. "If actual hostilities break out across the Taiwan Strait, the entire eastern maritime area of Taiwan will be Taiwan's most critical outlet to the outside world," he told a forum in Taipei earlier on Monday. Taiwan finished its annual Han Kuang military drills last week, simulating a range of battle scenarios including how to break a potential Chinese maritime blockade. China's Defence Ministry called the drills a "wasteful charade" that, "stoked war panic". Lai also faces a challenge from Taiwan's opposition-dominated parliament, which only passed this year's budget late on Friday after months of delays. The two main opposition parties say they will not write blank cheques for the government. (Reporting by Ben Blanchard; Editing by Jacqueline Wong and Helen Popper)

Actors involved

USChinaTaiwan

Sources

  • ReutersBy Reuters

    Taiwan is determined to strengthen its defences and plans record defence spending next year, President Lai Ching-te said on Monday, describing his government's military budget proposal as an investment in peace. Taiwan's cabinet will unveil next year's budget on Thursday, includi

See this event through different lenses

Compare how Western, Iranian, Israeli, Global South, and Pro-Peace perspectives frame this event.

Compare Perspectives

Community Notes

Community Notes

Loading notes...

Related events

humanitarianUnverifiedRussiaUkraine
1 source

Russia maintains election ban on opposition Yabloko, jails deputy head Supreme Court ruling supports Kremlin’s clampdown ahead of September’s parliamentary vote. Russia’s top court has rejected an appeal by the anti-war Yabloko party against a recent ruling banning it from taking part in upcoming elections, while another court jailed its deputy leader for 11 years.

The opposition party confirmed on Monday that its appeal had failed. Opposition activists said the ban is evidence of the increasing erosion of Russia’s democracy and an attempt to silence opposition to the war in Ukraine. Recommended Storieslist of 2 items - list 1 of 2Russia-Ukraine war: List of key events, day 1,317 - list 2 of 2Russia bars only party opposing war in Ukraine from parliamentary vote The Supreme Court handed down the ban last week, removing the only registered political party calling for an end to the Russia-Ukraine war from the ballot in September’s parliamentary vote.

“The Appeals Chamber of the Supreme Court upheld the court’s decision to revoke the registration of Yabloko’s federal list of candidates for the State Duma elections,” the party said in a statement on Monday, adding that it would seek a supervisory review.

The case against Yabloko was filed by Rodina, a small pro-Kremlin nationalist party, which accused Yabloko of being backed by Western countries and seeking to undermine both the election process and Russia itself. Yabloko rejected the accusations, saying the party represented the views of millions of Russians and the ban effectively stripped away the only option for people opposed to the Ukraine war.

Deputy leader jailed On the same day as the party lost its appeal, another court sentenced Yabloko’s deputy leader Lev Shlosberg to 11 years and one month in a penal colony for his opposition to the war in Ukraine. Shlosberg was found guilty of harming the reputation of Russia’s armed forces and lying about them.

The conviction is based on legislation passed since Russia’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine in February 2022, which paves the way for lengthy terms for those found guilty of “discrediting” the military or deliberately spreading false information about the war.

As a result, few groups have openly criticised the conflict. But individuals such as Shlosberg, human rights campaigner Oleg Orlov and the late dissident Alexei Navalny spoke out against “tyranny and repression” from the dock with no realistic chance of acquittal.

In a defiant closing speech at the trial, Shlosberg labelled the war as a catastrophe for Russia. “The lives of countless thousands of people have been cut short during this time. Sooner or later, the precise and complete death toll – with names included – will be made public, and the entire nation will shudder at this list of martyrs.

” ‘Intimidation’ Police detained dozens of supporters and journalists who had come to listen to the court decision and took some to nearby police stations. “Many detainees today. We also see that the police officers are very nervous today,” Kirill Goncharov, head of Yabloko’s Moscow branch, told the independent outlet Novaya Gazeta.

In the courtroom, party leader Nikolay Rybakov called the detentions “intimidation”.

humanitarianUnverifiedRussiaUkraine
1 source

Russia's Supreme Court has rejected an appeal by the Yabloko party, the sole officially registered party to openly oppose Moscow's war on Ukraine, against its removal from the ballot for September parliamentary elections. In a separate hearing on August 17, a court in the city of Pskov sentenced an outspoken deputy chairman of Yabloko, Lev Shlosberg, to more than 11 years in prison after convicting of him under a law designed to punish critics of the war.

The rulings display the Kremlin's determination to silence dissent, particularly when it comes to the war, and suggest that President Vladimir Putin is unwilling to risk the possibility of a strong showing by a party that is calling for its end. The September 18-20 elections to the State Duma, Russia's upper parliament house, will be the first since Putin launched the full-scale invasion of Ukraine in February 2022.

Yabloko has made the slogan "For Peace and Freedom" central to its Duma campaign. The Central Election Commission unexpectedly registered the party for the balloting, but the Supreme Court sided with a nationalist party that alleged an array of violations including funding from abroad, copyright infringements, and extremism -- which Yabloko called "absurd" -- and barred Yabloko from the election in an August 10 ruling.

At the appeal hearing on August 17, Yabloko Chairman Nikolai Rybakov said the case hinged not on technicalities but on the ability of the state to uphold the rule of law in times of crisis. "We, the Yabloko party, demand that the electoral process be brought back into strict compliance with the law," Rybakov told the court.

"We demand respect for the constitution of the Russian Federation. We demand respect for the rights of millions of Russian voters who want to live, love, and raise their children in peace in Russia and therefore want to vote for the Yabloko party," he said.

Yabloko said at least 35 people who came to the Supreme Court in hopes of attending the hearing were detained by law enforcement authorities before it began. Among those was actor Viktor Balabanov, one of the party's candidates for a Duma seat, the party said.

Videos shared on social media showed several young people being escorted by police at the court. Only the parties involved in the case and journalists were allowed inside even though the Supreme Court hearing was supposed to be open to the public. In a brief statement on social media, Yabloko said it has the right to appeal to the Supreme Court's presidium and will do so soon.

Not long before the Supreme Court issued its ruling, the Pskov City Court convicted Shlosberg of discrediting and distributing false information about Russia's armed forces and sentenced him to 11 years and one month in prison. In his final remarks in the courtroom, Shlosberg maintained his innocence, accusing the authorities of political motivation in prosecuting him, and repeated his ardent criticism of the war.

"The lives of countless thousands of people have been cut short" by the war, he said, according to a transcript published by the news outlet Mediazona. "Sooner or later, the precise and complete death toll -- with names included -- will be made public, and the entire nation will shudder at this list of martyrs.

" "Today, cemeteries in our country, including military ones, are growing far more rapidly than maternity wards, kindergartens, and schools," said Shlosberg, who is one of the most prominent Kremlin opponents remaining in Russia.

humanitarianUnverifiedUSRussiaUkraine
1 source

WASHINGTON, August 17. /TASS/. US First Lady Melania Trump has facilitated the reunification of one more child who was separated from the family amid the Ukrainian conflict, according to a statement released by the White House press service. "First Lady Melania Trump facilitated the reunification of another child with her family on Monday, August 17, 2026, after being separated" during the conflict in Ukraine," it said, not specifying the child and the family’s citizenship.

"My representative and I are focused on helping facilitate the next reunification of individuals who have been separated from their loved ones because of the war between Ukraine and Russia," Melania Trump was quoted as saying. " "To date, First Lady Melania Trump’s efforts have facilitated the reunification of 34 children and families since she penned the Peace Letter to Russia’s President Vladimir Putin," it said.

Russian presidential children’s rights ombudswoman Maria Lvova-Belova earlier lauded Melania Trump’s contribution to the reunification of Russian and Ukrainian children with their families.

Location: Oman