ConflictClarifier

2026 Iran-Gulf Crisis Tracker
CC
Events Archive
diplomacyMay 14, 2026

Hormuz Oil Flows Creep Higher as More Supertankers Exit

Summary

By Alex Longley, Weilun Soon and Julian Lee (Bloomberg) – The number of supertankers hauling unsanctioned oil through the Strait of Hormuz has shown signs of rising in recent days, offering limited relief to an oil market that’s suffered the largest supply disruption in history. Four ships each hauling 2 million barrels of mostly-Iraqi crude have exited since May 10 — a rate close to 2 million barrels a day — according to vessel tracking data compiled by Bloomberg. Still, prior to the war, there were about 20 or so tankers of various sizes crossing the waterway daily. Oil traders are monitoring Hormuz flows closely because the blockage of the waterway has already cut about a billion barrels from global supply. While shipments from countries other than Iran have crept up, those from the Islamic Republic have slumped sharply since an American blockade. Hormuz has remained largely blocked since the war began in late February and has been subject to an international diplomatic arm wrestle ever since. Iran earlier this month laid out an updated process for ships wanting to cross Hormuz that involved dealing with a body called the Persian Gulf Strait Authority. At the same time, the US has maintained a blockade, from the edge of the Gulf of Oman, on Iranian ports. That has slowed maritime traffic in the region, though some vessels have been able to cross thanks to agreements between governments. Still, while a handful of tankers have been able to escape, it’s less clear whether they’ll be willing to return given the risks to shipping. In recent weeks, some commercial ships have crossed with their satellite signals off, meaning it’s possible the number increases down the line once those vessels re-emerge away from the Middle East. In total 38 vessels of all kinds — not just oil tankers — have crossed Hormuz in both directions over the past seven days, three times as many as in the week to May 9. Most of those tranisted without signaling until they reach the Gulf of Oman. “There’s been an increase but the levels are so low that it won’t make much of a difference,” said Georgios Sakellariou, a freight analyst at Signal Maritime. “The major issue is that even if all the tankers inside leave, new ones won’t be entering anytime soon.” Of the four supertankers that departed with their signals on, three loaded crude oil in Iraq. The other is carrying cargoes from the United Arab Emirates and Kuwait, the vessel tracking data show. Iran said on Thursday that it is now allowing Chinese ships to pass the Strait of Hormuz following discussions with the country’s foreign ministry. A day earlier, the supertanker Yuan Hua Hu became the third Chinese VLCC to cross the waterway. There’s been a similar trend in other markets too, with a series of very large gas carriers adding to the number of crossings in recent days. Tracking the number of ships crossing Hormuz has been complicated by the fact that some vessels have transited while switching off their satellite transponders. Last month, the boss of commodity trader Mercuria Energy Group said the company has been able to get vessels out of the waterway, but declined to elaborate on how. Middle Eastern oil companies, including Saudi Arabia Aramco Trading Co. and the UAE’s state-owned Abu Dhabi National Oil Co. have also moved crude cargoes through the waterway since it was closed, people familiar with the situation said last week. © 2026 Bloomberg L.P. Editorial Standards · Corrections · About gCaptain This article contains reporting from Bloomberg, published under license. Subscribe for Daily Maritime Insights Sign up for gCaptain’s newsletter and never miss an update — trusted by our 106,105 members

Perspectives

Iranian Official

The Islamic Republic of Iran, in defense of its sovereignty over the Strait of Hormuz, has established the Persian Gulf Strait Authority to regulate passage and counter foreign aggression, including the illegal US blockade imposed since late February. Despite this hostile encirclement that has slashed Iranian oil exports, limited flows of mostly regional crude have resumed at rates nearing 2 million barrels daily, demonstrating Tehran’s steadfast resistance to external interference. These measures affirm Iran’s right to secure its maritime domain against imperialist disruption of global energy supplies.

Israeli

The partial easing of tanker flows through the Strait of Hormuz highlights Iran’s ongoing effort to weaponize this critical chokepoint, an existential threat that could starve global energy markets while funding Tehran’s vast proxy network of terror groups targeting Israel. The US blockade, maintained since the war began in late February, represents a necessary defensive response to Iran’s aggression, which has already removed a billion barrels from supply and enabled only limited, government-approved shipments of mostly Iraqi crude. Israel views sustained pressure on Hormuz traffic as vital to curbing Iranian revenue that sustains its regional war machine.

Neutral

According to vessel tracking data compiled by Bloomberg, four supertankers each carrying roughly 2 million barrels of mostly Iraqi crude have exited the Strait of Hormuz since May 10. Pre-conflict daily crossings through the waterway averaged around 20 tankers of various sizes, while flows from Iran have decreased amid restrictions that began in late February. Some vessels from other countries have continued to transit under government agreements, though overall volumes remain below prior levels.

Western

Western forces have maintained a precise naval blockade of Iranian ports from the Gulf of Oman, successfully neutralizing the threat of regime oil revenues by slashing sanctioned exports through the Strait of Hormuz since late February. Limited flows of non-Iranian crude, including roughly 2 million barrels per day of mostly Iraqi oil via four supertankers since May 10, reflect targeted allowances under government agreements while denying passage to Iranian shipments. This approach has already removed about one billion barrels from global supply, underscoring the blockade’s effectiveness in containing Tehran’s economic leverage.

Pro-Peace

The war that erupted in late February has kept the Strait of Hormuz largely blocked, slashing a billion barrels from global supply and driving up energy costs that fall hardest on civilians already struggling with inflation, food insecurity, and lost livelihoods across import-dependent nations. Limited tanker movements since May 10 offer scant relief while Iranian and Iraqi communities endure the economic strangulation of blockades and disrupted trade. Renewed diplomatic engagement through neutral channels, rather than military enforcement, remains the only path to avert further humanitarian fallout.

Global South

The US blockade of the Strait of Hormuz, imposed from the Gulf of Oman since late February, represents a neo-colonial chokehold on sovereign energy routes, slashing roughly a billion barrels from global supply and hitting Global South economies hardest while shielding Western interests. Iran’s creation of the Persian Gulf Strait Authority asserts its rightful control over maritime passage, yet Western diplomatic failures and selective enforcement have allowed only token flows—such as recent Iraqi crude shipments—past the restrictions. This institutional paralysis exposes how great-power rivalries override the sovereignty of non-aligned states navigating resource extraction and trade.

Actors involved

USIran

Sources

  • BloombergBy Bloomberg

    By Alex Longley, Weilun Soon and Julian Lee (Bloomberg) – The number of supertankers hauling unsanctioned oil through the Strait of Hormuz has shown signs of rising in recent days, offering limited relief to an oil market that’s suffered the largest supply disruption in history.

See this event through different lenses

Compare how Western, Iranian, Israeli, Global South, and Pro-Peace perspectives frame this event.

Compare Perspectives

Community Notes

Community Notes

Loading notes...

Related events

diplomacyUnverifiedUSIran
1 source

Key points: Bitcoin diverges from US stocks as Trump says Strait of Hormuz “open” Data from TradingView showed BTC/USD building on the week’s gains as the S&P 500 bounced from 7,696, its lowest level since Aug. 4. BTC/USD four-hour chart. Source: Cointelegraph/TradingView This came after US president Donald Trump posted a map of the closed Strait of Hormuz oil route to Truth Social where it was labeled “new US territory.

” Both the US and Iran lay claim to control of Hormuz, with Trump threatening US ally Oman with military action over its plans to work with Iran on charging tolls to shipping traffic. In a subsequent post, Trump confirmed that further diplomacy with Iran was not on the agenda.

“There are no talks or conversations going on, or scheduled, with the Islamic Republic of Iran. The Naval Blockade remains in full force and effect. The Hormuz Strait is open and operating. All water mines have been removed or detonated,” he wrote. S&P 500 one-day chart.

Source: Cointelegraph/TradingView As on Monday, oil avoided major volatility, with WTI crude down 1% at the time of writing at $84 per barrel. US government bonds continued to show strain, with the 30-year yield hitting 5.34%, its highest since January 2007.

“Bond prices are sending warnings,” BNY Mellon analyst Geoff Yu wrote in a research note quoted by the New York Times. Yu said that the surge came as “investors demand more compensation for inflation risk,” while also attributing the upside to government borrowing.

US 30-year bond yields one-month chart. Source: Cointelegraph/TradingView BTC price faces crunch rebound test Updating X followers on BTC/USD, trader and analyst Aksel Kibar eyed the culmination of a potential reverse head-and-shoulders pattern at $62,300.

Related: Bitcoin price spike to $64.5K was ‘low-volume liquidity trap’: Analysis “If $BTCUSD is going to rebound, it has to come from here,” he argued on Monday. Kibar offered a $53,000 target in the event of the head-and-shoulders structure failing, with $76,000 a potential upside target should the rebound sustain.

BTC/USD one-day chart. Source: Aksel Kibar on X.com Previously, Cointelegraph reported that underwater investors were contributing to Bitcoin’s inability to break higher. Its rebound to $64,500 also stopped short of an overhead trend line, the 50-month exponential moving average (EMA).

This moving average is now in place as resistance at $65,827.

Location: Strait of Hormuz
diplomacyUnverifiedUSIran
1 source

Trump says no talks underway with Iran, Hormuz blockade remains in place US president says no discussions are taking place or planned with Tehran and reiterates that the naval blockade of the Strait of Hormuz remains fully operational Washington: US President Donald Trump said on Tuesday that no talks are taking place with Iran and that no discussions are currently scheduled between the two countries.

In a post on his Truth Social platform, Trump also said the naval blockade of the Strait of Hormuz remains "in full force and effect." The president did not provide further details regarding US policy towards Iran or any potential future diplomatic engagement.

Trump's comments come amid continued tensions between Washington and Tehran and renewed focus on security and navigation through the Strait of Hormuz, one of the world's most important oil shipping routes.

Location: Tehran
diplomacyUnverifiedUSIran
1 source

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said Tuesday that Iran had “won both the war and diplomacy,” claiming those who initially sought Tehran’s “unconditional surrender” later sought negotiations. Speaking at an event, Araghchi said Iran resisted for days against what he described as “the world’s largest apparent military,” alongside another army claiming military power and with the support of nearly all Western countries and some other states inside and outside the region, according to the Tasnim news agency.

“Those who were seeking unconditional surrender, shortly after the war began, begged for negotiations,” Araghchi said. He claimed Tehran initially rejected a ceasefire and continued fighting until reaching a point where the other side accepted a ceasefire and negotiations “on Iran’s terms.

” “We fought with strength, and we negotiated with strength,” he said, adding that many foreign ministers had told him: “You won both the war and diplomacy.” Araghchi’s remarks came after US President Donald Trump called on Iran on Monday to give up and “raise the white flag.

Location: Tehran
diplomacyUnverifiedUSIran
1 source

- Iran demands US lift sanctions and return frozen assets to reopen Strait of Hormuz - Iran's Parliament Speaker warns closure of Strait continues until US ends military threats - Around 20% of global oil supply passes through the Strait, impacting energy security Iran has warned that the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the US meets a set of conditions, including the release of frozen Iranian assets, an end to oil sanctions and what Tehran describes as a US blockade and military threats.

Al-Arabiya English reported that Iran's Parliament Speaker and top negotiator Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf said the Trump administration must meet the conditions before Tehran considers reopening the strategic waterway. “Until the Trump regime removes the blockade, ends the wars across the region, returns Iran's stolen assets, lifts the oil sanctions, and ceases its military threats, the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed,” Ghalibaf said.

Until the Trump regime removes the blockade, ends the wars across the region, returns Iran's stolen assets, lifts the oil sanctions, and ceases its military threats, the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed. pic.twitter.com/fl2RrKnT1R— Seyed Mohammad Marandi (@s_m_marandi) August 18, 2026 Ghalibaf also warned that Iran was prepared to respond more forcefully depending on the actions of its adversaries.

ALSO READ: 'We Control Hormuz': Trump To Declare Strait As US Territory? Here's What President Says The comments add a new condition to an already fragile diplomatic environment, with the Strait of Hormuz at the centre of concerns over global energy supplies.

Around one-fifth of global oil supply typically passes through the waterway, making any prolonged disruption a major risk for crude markets, shipping and energy security. Earlier, Press TV reported that Ghalibaf is scheduled to travel to Baghdad on Wednesday at the head of a high-level Iranian delegation for discussions with Iraqi leaders.

The talks are expected to cover regional developments and bilateral cooperation, including border security, counterterrorism, economic ties and implementation of existing agreements. Iraqi media have also reported that the agenda could include a proposal concerning Iraqi oil exports through the Strait of Hormuz.

The visit comes as regional governments grapple with the implications of continued disruption in one of the world's most important energy corridors. ALSO READ: Hormuz Tensions: Another Ship Hit By Unknown Projectile, Says UKMTO Centre The security situation in the waterway has also remained tense.

The UK's Maritime Trade Operations agency, or UKMTO, said a vessel reported being struck by an unknown projectile while conducting an outbound transit of the Strait of Hormuz. “The Company Security Officer has reported that the vessel was struck by an unknown projectile while conducting an outbound transit of the Strait of Hormuz,” UKMTO said.

The impact damaged the vessel's engine room and resulted in a crew casualty, the agency said. The remaining crew was being assisted by the Omani coastguard. Essential Business Intelligence, Sharp Market Insights, Practical Personal Finance Advice, Daily Fuel, Gold and Silver Prices and Latest Stories — On NDTV Profit.

Location: Tehran