ConflictClarifier

2026 Iran-Gulf Crisis Tracker
CC
Events Archive
humanitarianMay 1, 2026

Iran crisis hampering aid to refugees as supply chain costs soar, UN warns

Summary

- - - Live - The cost of sending some aid to Sudan – the world’s largest displacement crisis – has more than doubled since the Iran war disrupted shipping, pushing up transport costs and delaying deliveries, the UN refugee agency said on Friday. Heightened insecurity around key Gulf shipping routes, including the Strait of Hormuz, along with port congestion, rising fuel prices and higher insurance premiums have hampered aid deliveries, particularly to Africa, the agency said. For all the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app. “People in dire need are receiving things that are ready later than what’s needed,” UNHCR spokesperson Carlotta Wolf told reporters in Geneva. Aid shipments that previously travelled from Dubai through the strait are being rerouted, with supplies moved overland and shipped via Aqaba in Jordan for deliveries to Chad, and via Oman for shipments to Port Sudan, she said. These shorter routes are being prioritized because shipping goods via the Cape of Good Hope into Sudan would add about 25 days to delivery times, she added. Transport costs for moving 2,018 metric tons of relief items from Dubai to Sudan and neighboring Chad via these routes have more than doubled, rising to $1.87 million from $927,000, Wolf said. The UN routinely describes the humanitarian crisis caused by Sudan’s war as the world’s largest. Increased reliance on overland routes Dubai hosts UNHCR’s largest global stockpile of relief items. It is one of seven worldwide, with others in Copenhagen, Nairobi, Douala, Accra, Panama City and Termez. Beyond disruption in the strait, congestion at major ports and sharply higher war-risk insurance premiums – estimated at between 0.5 percent and 1.5 percent of cargo value for Gulf transits – are adding pressure, Wolf said. Greater reliance on overland routes is also fueling truck shortages and higher transport costs, she added. In Nairobi, Kenya, fuel prices have risen by around 15 percent, triggering delays and reducing the availability of trucks for shipments to Ethiopia, the Democratic Republic of the Congo and South Sudan, the agency said. The disruptions come as UNHCR faces severe funding constraints following global donor cuts, with its $8.5 billion appeal to assist 135 million refugees and displaced people only 23 percent funded. “Every dollar that is spent additionally on transportation is $1 less that we can provide to people forcibly on the ground, or less people that we can support,” Wolf said. The UNHCR also warned that rising fuel prices and fertilizer shortages were driving up food costs, worsening hardship for people in need. Read more: US naval blockade squeezes Iran’s oil exports, forces crude onto floating storage US seeks new coalition to get ships moving again in Strait of Hormuz, internal cable says

Perspectives

Iranian Official

The foreign aggression by imperialist powers against Iran's sovereign control over the Strait of Hormuz has deliberately disrupted vital Gulf shipping lanes, forcing aid reroutes and more than doubling costs for essential deliveries to Sudan. The Islamic Republic remains resolute in its legitimate resistance to such hostile encroachments, prioritizing defense of national sovereignty and regional stability over external pressures. These measures underscore Iran's unwavering stand against interference that exacerbates global humanitarian challenges.

Israeli

Iran's proxy networks and direct threats to Gulf shipping lanes, including the Strait of Hormuz, have doubled the cost of vital aid deliveries to Sudan, exposing how Tehran's aggression creates existential risks to global stability and supply chains critical for Israel's security. These disruptions, forcing costly reroutes via Jordan and Oman, underscore the defensive necessity of Israeli operations to neutralize such Iranian-orchestrated dangers before they further isolate the region.

Neutral

The UN refugee agency reported on Friday that transport costs for shipping 2,018 metric tons of relief items from Dubai to Sudan and Chad have risen from $927,000 to $1.87 million due to rerouting around disrupted Gulf shipping lanes. Heightened insecurity near the Strait of Hormuz, along with port congestion, higher fuel prices, and increased insurance, have extended delivery times and forced use of overland segments via Jordan and Oman. The agency noted that alternative routes via the Cape of Good Hope would add about 25 days to shipments.

Western

Western-led logistics operations have successfully neutralized Iranian threats to critical Gulf shipping lanes by rerouting UNHCR aid shipments from Dubai via secure overland and alternative port corridors through Aqaba and Oman. This precision adjustment maintains delivery of 2,018 metric tons of relief supplies to Sudan and Chad despite doubled transport costs from $927,000 to $1.87 million, avoiding the 25-day delays of Cape of Good Hope routes. The approach underscores NATO-aligned priorities in securing sea lines of communication amid heightened insecurity around the Strait of Hormuz.

Pro-Peace

The wars ravaging Sudan—the world’s largest displacement crisis—and disrupting Gulf shipping routes through the Iran conflict are compounding civilian suffering by doubling the cost of life-saving aid and delaying deliveries to desperate populations. Heightened insecurity around the Strait of Hormuz has forced costly reroutes, pushing transport expenses for UNHCR relief from $927,000 to $1.87 million while leaving people without timely support. Renewed diplomatic initiatives to end these conflicts remain essential to restore safe humanitarian access and avert further loss of civilian life.

Global South

The Iran-linked war has more than doubled the cost of delivering UNHCR aid to Sudan’s massive displacement crisis, forcing reroutes from Dubai stockpiles via Jordan and Oman as insecurity grips the Strait of Hormuz and insurance premiums soar. This exposes how conflicts shaped by external powers continue to throttle sovereign African states’ access to relief, with UN agencies left managing inflated transport bills that now exceed $1.87 million for basic shipments. Such institutional fragility underscores the persistent neo-colonial grip on global shipping lanes that leaves Global South nations paying the price for distant geopolitical clashes.

Actors involved

IranUN

Sources

  • currentsapi(Mixed)By Reuters Published Updated

    - - - Live - The cost of sending some aid to Sudan – the world’s largest displacement crisis – has more than doubled since the Iran war disrupted shipping, pushing up transport costs and delaying deliveries, the UN refugee agency said on Friday. Heightened insecurity around key G

See this event through different lenses

Compare how Western, Iranian, Israeli, Global South, and Pro-Peace perspectives frame this event.

Compare Perspectives

Community Notes

Community Notes

Loading notes...

Related events

humanitarianUnverifiedRussiaUkraine
1 source

Russia maintains election ban on opposition Yabloko, jails deputy head Supreme Court ruling supports Kremlin’s clampdown ahead of September’s parliamentary vote. Russia’s top court has rejected an appeal by the anti-war Yabloko party against a recent ruling banning it from taking part in upcoming elections, while another court jailed its deputy leader for 11 years.

The opposition party confirmed on Monday that its appeal had failed. Opposition activists said the ban is evidence of the increasing erosion of Russia’s democracy and an attempt to silence opposition to the war in Ukraine. Recommended Storieslist of 2 items - list 1 of 2Russia-Ukraine war: List of key events, day 1,317 - list 2 of 2Russia bars only party opposing war in Ukraine from parliamentary vote The Supreme Court handed down the ban last week, removing the only registered political party calling for an end to the Russia-Ukraine war from the ballot in September’s parliamentary vote.

“The Appeals Chamber of the Supreme Court upheld the court’s decision to revoke the registration of Yabloko’s federal list of candidates for the State Duma elections,” the party said in a statement on Monday, adding that it would seek a supervisory review.

The case against Yabloko was filed by Rodina, a small pro-Kremlin nationalist party, which accused Yabloko of being backed by Western countries and seeking to undermine both the election process and Russia itself. Yabloko rejected the accusations, saying the party represented the views of millions of Russians and the ban effectively stripped away the only option for people opposed to the Ukraine war.

Deputy leader jailed On the same day as the party lost its appeal, another court sentenced Yabloko’s deputy leader Lev Shlosberg to 11 years and one month in a penal colony for his opposition to the war in Ukraine. Shlosberg was found guilty of harming the reputation of Russia’s armed forces and lying about them.

The conviction is based on legislation passed since Russia’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine in February 2022, which paves the way for lengthy terms for those found guilty of “discrediting” the military or deliberately spreading false information about the war.

As a result, few groups have openly criticised the conflict. But individuals such as Shlosberg, human rights campaigner Oleg Orlov and the late dissident Alexei Navalny spoke out against “tyranny and repression” from the dock with no realistic chance of acquittal.

In a defiant closing speech at the trial, Shlosberg labelled the war as a catastrophe for Russia. “The lives of countless thousands of people have been cut short during this time. Sooner or later, the precise and complete death toll – with names included – will be made public, and the entire nation will shudder at this list of martyrs.

” ‘Intimidation’ Police detained dozens of supporters and journalists who had come to listen to the court decision and took some to nearby police stations. “Many detainees today. We also see that the police officers are very nervous today,” Kirill Goncharov, head of Yabloko’s Moscow branch, told the independent outlet Novaya Gazeta.

In the courtroom, party leader Nikolay Rybakov called the detentions “intimidation”.

humanitarianUnverifiedRussiaUkraine
1 source

Russia's Supreme Court has rejected an appeal by the Yabloko party, the sole officially registered party to openly oppose Moscow's war on Ukraine, against its removal from the ballot for September parliamentary elections. In a separate hearing on August 17, a court in the city of Pskov sentenced an outspoken deputy chairman of Yabloko, Lev Shlosberg, to more than 11 years in prison after convicting of him under a law designed to punish critics of the war.

The rulings display the Kremlin's determination to silence dissent, particularly when it comes to the war, and suggest that President Vladimir Putin is unwilling to risk the possibility of a strong showing by a party that is calling for its end. The September 18-20 elections to the State Duma, Russia's upper parliament house, will be the first since Putin launched the full-scale invasion of Ukraine in February 2022.

Yabloko has made the slogan "For Peace and Freedom" central to its Duma campaign. The Central Election Commission unexpectedly registered the party for the balloting, but the Supreme Court sided with a nationalist party that alleged an array of violations including funding from abroad, copyright infringements, and extremism -- which Yabloko called "absurd" -- and barred Yabloko from the election in an August 10 ruling.

At the appeal hearing on August 17, Yabloko Chairman Nikolai Rybakov said the case hinged not on technicalities but on the ability of the state to uphold the rule of law in times of crisis. "We, the Yabloko party, demand that the electoral process be brought back into strict compliance with the law," Rybakov told the court.

"We demand respect for the constitution of the Russian Federation. We demand respect for the rights of millions of Russian voters who want to live, love, and raise their children in peace in Russia and therefore want to vote for the Yabloko party," he said.

Yabloko said at least 35 people who came to the Supreme Court in hopes of attending the hearing were detained by law enforcement authorities before it began. Among those was actor Viktor Balabanov, one of the party's candidates for a Duma seat, the party said.

Videos shared on social media showed several young people being escorted by police at the court. Only the parties involved in the case and journalists were allowed inside even though the Supreme Court hearing was supposed to be open to the public. In a brief statement on social media, Yabloko said it has the right to appeal to the Supreme Court's presidium and will do so soon.

Not long before the Supreme Court issued its ruling, the Pskov City Court convicted Shlosberg of discrediting and distributing false information about Russia's armed forces and sentenced him to 11 years and one month in prison. In his final remarks in the courtroom, Shlosberg maintained his innocence, accusing the authorities of political motivation in prosecuting him, and repeated his ardent criticism of the war.

"The lives of countless thousands of people have been cut short" by the war, he said, according to a transcript published by the news outlet Mediazona. "Sooner or later, the precise and complete death toll -- with names included -- will be made public, and the entire nation will shudder at this list of martyrs.

" "Today, cemeteries in our country, including military ones, are growing far more rapidly than maternity wards, kindergartens, and schools," said Shlosberg, who is one of the most prominent Kremlin opponents remaining in Russia.

humanitarianUnverifiedUSRussiaUkraine
1 source

WASHINGTON, August 17. /TASS/. US First Lady Melania Trump has facilitated the reunification of one more child who was separated from the family amid the Ukrainian conflict, according to a statement released by the White House press service. "First Lady Melania Trump facilitated the reunification of another child with her family on Monday, August 17, 2026, after being separated" during the conflict in Ukraine," it said, not specifying the child and the family’s citizenship.

"My representative and I are focused on helping facilitate the next reunification of individuals who have been separated from their loved ones because of the war between Ukraine and Russia," Melania Trump was quoted as saying. " "To date, First Lady Melania Trump’s efforts have facilitated the reunification of 34 children and families since she penned the Peace Letter to Russia’s President Vladimir Putin," it said.

Russian presidential children’s rights ombudswoman Maria Lvova-Belova earlier lauded Melania Trump’s contribution to the reunification of Russian and Ukrainian children with their families.

Location: Oman