ConflictClarifier

2026 Iran-Gulf Crisis Tracker
CC
Events Archive
diplomacyMay 15, 2026

Iran's top diplomat says a lack of trust is impeding talks to end war with the US

Summary

NEW DELHI (AP) — Iran ’s foreign minister said a lack of trust is the biggest obstacle in negotiations to end the war with the U.S., saying Friday that Tehran would be open to diplomatic help, particularly from China, to help ease tensions. Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said contradictory messages have “made us reluctant about the real intentions of Americans.” “We are in doubt about their seriousness,” he told reporters in New Delhi, adding that negotiations would move forward if Washington was ready for a “fair and balanced deal.” U.S. President Donald Trump earlier this week dismissed Iran's latest formal proposal as “garbage.” While Iran was said to include some nuclear concessions, Trump has said he wants to remove highly enriched uranium from the country and prevent it from developing nuclear weapons. Iran says its nuclear program is for peaceful purposes. With talks between Iran and the U.S. at a standstill during the shaky ceasefire, tensions remain high and threaten to tip the Middle East back into open warfare and prolong the worldwide energy crisis sparked by the conflict. Iran still has a chokehold on the Strait of Hormuz, a vital waterway where a fifth of the world’s oil passed through before the war, and America is blockading Iranian ports. Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping, who finished talks on Friday, agreed the strait needs to be reopened. China could play a diplomatic role, Iran says Araghchi said Friday that Iran would welcome diplomatic support from other countries, particularly from China, citing Beijing’s previous role in facilitating the restoration of ties between Iran and Saudi Arabia. “Chinese have a good intention. So anything that can be done by them to help diplomacy would be welcomed by the Islamic Republic of Iran,” he said. Beijing has shown little public interest in U.S. requests to get more involved, even though Trump told Fox News’ Sean Hannity that Xi had in their conversations offered to help. Pakistan said Thursday it was continuing diplomatic efforts to help ease regional tensions amid ongoing contacts over Iran-related ceasefire proposals. But it declined to disclose details of the discussions or say whether the United States had formally responded. “The clock on diplomacy has not stopped. The peace process is working,” Foreign Ministry spokesperson Tahir Andrabi told reporters in Islamabad. Iran says uranium is a sticking point Trump has demanded a major rollback of Iran’s nuclear activities while Iran has said that it has a right to enrich uranium. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who launched the war with Trump on Feb. 28, has also demanded that all of Iran’s highly enriched uranium be removed from the country. Iran’s foreign minister said Friday that the issue of its enriched uranium stockpile is one of the most difficult subjects in negotiations with the U.S. Russia has previously offered to take the stockpile if Iran is willing to give it up. Araghchi said Russia’s proposal was not currently under active discussion, but could be revisited if negotiations progress. “When we come to that stage, obviously we will have more consultations with Russia and see if the Russian offer can help or not. This is not something for the time being,” he said. UAE speeds up construction of oil pipeline The United Arab Emirates is speeding up the completion of a new pipeline that will allow the Gulf federation to export more oil without routing it through the Strait of Hormuz. Sheikh Khaled bin Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, the crown prince of Abu Dhabi, directed state oil company ADNOC to accelerate work on the pipeline during a meeting of the Emirati capital’s executive council, the Abu Dhabi Media Office said Friday. The state oil company already runs a pipeline designed to carry 1.5 million barrels a day from its oil fields in the west of the country to the port of Fujairah on the Gulf of Oman. The new pipeline is expected to double the company’s export capacity through that port. It will become operational next year, the media office said. ___ Schreck reported from Dubai, United Arab Emirates. Associated Press reporter Munir Ahmed in Islamabad contributed.

Perspectives

Iranian Official

Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi stated that Washington’s contradictory messages and dismissal of Tehran’s proposals reveal a lack of seriousness, underscoring U.S. aggression as the core barrier to any talks. Tehran remains committed to defending its sovereignty and peaceful nuclear program, insisting on a fair deal while welcoming diplomatic support from China to counter foreign pressure. Despite the shaky ceasefire, Iran continues to resist U.S. blockades and demands through control of the Strait of Hormuz.

Israeli

Iran views any U.S. pressure on its nuclear program as insincere, clinging to contradictory signals while maintaining a chokehold on the Strait of Hormuz that threatens global energy routes and regional stability. From Israel's perspective, Tehran's pursuit of highly enriched uranium and nuclear capabilities represents an existential threat, backed by its proxy networks that could strike the Jewish state at any moment. Defensive necessity demands that Washington reject half-measures and sustain maximum pressure to prevent Iran from crossing the nuclear threshold.

Neutral

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said Friday in New Delhi that lack of trust remains the main barrier to negotiations with the United States and that Iran is open to diplomatic assistance, particularly from China. He cited contradictory U.S. messages as reason for doubt about Washington’s intentions and stated that talks could advance with a fair and balanced deal. President Trump has rejected Iran’s latest proposal, and the two sides have discussed reopening the Strait of Hormuz during an ongoing fragile ceasefire.

Western

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi cited deep distrust as the main obstacle to resuming U.S. talks, while signaling openness to Chinese mediation during the fragile ceasefire. President Trump rejected Tehran’s latest offer as inadequate, insisting on the verifiable removal of highly enriched uranium to neutralize Iran’s nuclear threat and prevent weapons development. With Iranian forces still controlling the Strait of Hormuz, U.S. and allied efforts—supported by recent U.S.-China discussions—focus on reopening the waterway to safeguard global energy flows and restore regional stability through targeted pressure.

Pro-Peace

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi cited deep mistrust of U.S. intentions as the chief obstacle to ending the conflict, while signaling openness to Chinese diplomatic mediation that could foster a fair deal and avert renewed warfare. With talks stalled under a shaky ceasefire, the standoff risks tipping the region back into open fighting, worsening the global energy crisis that already burdens civilians through higher costs and instability. Both sides’ agreement on reopening the Strait of Hormuz underscores the need for sustained diplomacy over escalation that prolongs human suffering.

Global South

Iran’s foreign minister stressed that inconsistent US demands and outright dismissal of Tehran’s proposals have eroded any basis for trust, leaving negotiations hostage to Washington’s refusal to accept a fair deal that upholds Iranian sovereignty over its peaceful nuclear program. American port blockades and pressure to relinquish control of the Strait of Hormuz illustrate classic neo-colonial resource coercion, prolonging an energy crisis that hits Global South economies hardest while exposing the emptiness of US-led diplomatic institutions. Beijing’s potential mediating role offers a non-aligned channel less beholden to these power imbalances.

Actors involved

USIsraelIranRussiaChina

Sources

  • SHEIKH SAALIQ and ADAM SCHRECK, Associated PressBy SHEIKH SAALIQ and ADAM SCHRECK, Associated Press

    NEW DELHI (AP) — Iran ’s foreign minister said a lack of trust is the biggest obstacle in negotiations to end the war with the U.S., saying Friday that Tehran would be open to diplomatic help, particularly from China, to help ease tensions. Iranian Foreign Minister Ab

See this event through different lenses

Compare how Western, Iranian, Israeli, Global South, and Pro-Peace perspectives frame this event.

Compare Perspectives

Community Notes

Community Notes

Loading notes...

Related events

diplomacyUnverifiedUSIran
1 source

Key points: Bitcoin diverges from US stocks as Trump says Strait of Hormuz “open” Data from TradingView showed BTC/USD building on the week’s gains as the S&P 500 bounced from 7,696, its lowest level since Aug. 4. BTC/USD four-hour chart. Source: Cointelegraph/TradingView This came after US president Donald Trump posted a map of the closed Strait of Hormuz oil route to Truth Social where it was labeled “new US territory.

” Both the US and Iran lay claim to control of Hormuz, with Trump threatening US ally Oman with military action over its plans to work with Iran on charging tolls to shipping traffic. In a subsequent post, Trump confirmed that further diplomacy with Iran was not on the agenda.

“There are no talks or conversations going on, or scheduled, with the Islamic Republic of Iran. The Naval Blockade remains in full force and effect. The Hormuz Strait is open and operating. All water mines have been removed or detonated,” he wrote. S&P 500 one-day chart.

Source: Cointelegraph/TradingView As on Monday, oil avoided major volatility, with WTI crude down 1% at the time of writing at $84 per barrel. US government bonds continued to show strain, with the 30-year yield hitting 5.34%, its highest since January 2007.

“Bond prices are sending warnings,” BNY Mellon analyst Geoff Yu wrote in a research note quoted by the New York Times. Yu said that the surge came as “investors demand more compensation for inflation risk,” while also attributing the upside to government borrowing.

US 30-year bond yields one-month chart. Source: Cointelegraph/TradingView BTC price faces crunch rebound test Updating X followers on BTC/USD, trader and analyst Aksel Kibar eyed the culmination of a potential reverse head-and-shoulders pattern at $62,300.

Related: Bitcoin price spike to $64.5K was ‘low-volume liquidity trap’: Analysis “If $BTCUSD is going to rebound, it has to come from here,” he argued on Monday. Kibar offered a $53,000 target in the event of the head-and-shoulders structure failing, with $76,000 a potential upside target should the rebound sustain.

BTC/USD one-day chart. Source: Aksel Kibar on X.com Previously, Cointelegraph reported that underwater investors were contributing to Bitcoin’s inability to break higher. Its rebound to $64,500 also stopped short of an overhead trend line, the 50-month exponential moving average (EMA).

This moving average is now in place as resistance at $65,827.

Location: Strait of Hormuz
diplomacyUnverifiedUSIran
1 source

Trump says no talks underway with Iran, Hormuz blockade remains in place US president says no discussions are taking place or planned with Tehran and reiterates that the naval blockade of the Strait of Hormuz remains fully operational Washington: US President Donald Trump said on Tuesday that no talks are taking place with Iran and that no discussions are currently scheduled between the two countries.

In a post on his Truth Social platform, Trump also said the naval blockade of the Strait of Hormuz remains "in full force and effect." The president did not provide further details regarding US policy towards Iran or any potential future diplomatic engagement.

Trump's comments come amid continued tensions between Washington and Tehran and renewed focus on security and navigation through the Strait of Hormuz, one of the world's most important oil shipping routes.

Location: Tehran
diplomacyUnverifiedUSIran
1 source

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said Tuesday that Iran had “won both the war and diplomacy,” claiming those who initially sought Tehran’s “unconditional surrender” later sought negotiations. Speaking at an event, Araghchi said Iran resisted for days against what he described as “the world’s largest apparent military,” alongside another army claiming military power and with the support of nearly all Western countries and some other states inside and outside the region, according to the Tasnim news agency.

“Those who were seeking unconditional surrender, shortly after the war began, begged for negotiations,” Araghchi said. He claimed Tehran initially rejected a ceasefire and continued fighting until reaching a point where the other side accepted a ceasefire and negotiations “on Iran’s terms.

” “We fought with strength, and we negotiated with strength,” he said, adding that many foreign ministers had told him: “You won both the war and diplomacy.” Araghchi’s remarks came after US President Donald Trump called on Iran on Monday to give up and “raise the white flag.

Location: Tehran
diplomacyUnverifiedUSIran
1 source

- Iran demands US lift sanctions and return frozen assets to reopen Strait of Hormuz - Iran's Parliament Speaker warns closure of Strait continues until US ends military threats - Around 20% of global oil supply passes through the Strait, impacting energy security Iran has warned that the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the US meets a set of conditions, including the release of frozen Iranian assets, an end to oil sanctions and what Tehran describes as a US blockade and military threats.

Al-Arabiya English reported that Iran's Parliament Speaker and top negotiator Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf said the Trump administration must meet the conditions before Tehran considers reopening the strategic waterway. “Until the Trump regime removes the blockade, ends the wars across the region, returns Iran's stolen assets, lifts the oil sanctions, and ceases its military threats, the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed,” Ghalibaf said.

Until the Trump regime removes the blockade, ends the wars across the region, returns Iran's stolen assets, lifts the oil sanctions, and ceases its military threats, the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed. pic.twitter.com/fl2RrKnT1R— Seyed Mohammad Marandi (@s_m_marandi) August 18, 2026 Ghalibaf also warned that Iran was prepared to respond more forcefully depending on the actions of its adversaries.

ALSO READ: 'We Control Hormuz': Trump To Declare Strait As US Territory? Here's What President Says The comments add a new condition to an already fragile diplomatic environment, with the Strait of Hormuz at the centre of concerns over global energy supplies.

Around one-fifth of global oil supply typically passes through the waterway, making any prolonged disruption a major risk for crude markets, shipping and energy security. Earlier, Press TV reported that Ghalibaf is scheduled to travel to Baghdad on Wednesday at the head of a high-level Iranian delegation for discussions with Iraqi leaders.

The talks are expected to cover regional developments and bilateral cooperation, including border security, counterterrorism, economic ties and implementation of existing agreements. Iraqi media have also reported that the agenda could include a proposal concerning Iraqi oil exports through the Strait of Hormuz.

The visit comes as regional governments grapple with the implications of continued disruption in one of the world's most important energy corridors. ALSO READ: Hormuz Tensions: Another Ship Hit By Unknown Projectile, Says UKMTO Centre The security situation in the waterway has also remained tense.

The UK's Maritime Trade Operations agency, or UKMTO, said a vessel reported being struck by an unknown projectile while conducting an outbound transit of the Strait of Hormuz. “The Company Security Officer has reported that the vessel was struck by an unknown projectile while conducting an outbound transit of the Strait of Hormuz,” UKMTO said.

The impact damaged the vessel's engine room and resulted in a crew casualty, the agency said. The remaining crew was being assisted by the Omani coastguard. Essential Business Intelligence, Sharp Market Insights, Practical Personal Finance Advice, Daily Fuel, Gold and Silver Prices and Latest Stories — On NDTV Profit.

Location: Tehran