ConflictClarifier

2026 Iran-Gulf Crisis Tracker
CC
Events Archive
strikeJun 18, 2026

Israeli cyber unicorn valued at $3 billion aims to help governments own and control their AI

Summary

Israeli cyber unicorn valued at $3 billion aims to help governments own and control their AI Founded by Shalev Hulio, former CEO of spyware firm NSO, and ex-Austrian chancellor Kurz, Dream Security looks to secure and protect government data in the AI cyber warfare race Sharon Wrobel is a tech reporter for The Times of Israel Three and a half years after it was founded, Israeli AI cyber defense unicorn Dream Security has more than doubled its value to $3 billion, after raising $260 million in its latest private funding round announced on Thursday. To date, the company has secured a total of $412 million from investors to build AI infrastructure geared to help governments and critical national infrastructure sites — like oil, water, and energy facilities — secure and protect their most sensitive data from sophisticated cyber attacks by bad actors, including Russia, Iran, North Korea, and China. Dream last raised capital in a secondary offering at a valuation of $1.3 billion in August last year, following a $100 million investment last February at $1.1 billion. “We started three and a half years ago with the vision that the next cyber warfare is going to be AI versus AI and not human versus human anymore,” Dream Security CEO Shalev Hulio told The Times of Israel. “A year ago, we realized that the bad guys of the world — the Chinese, the Russians, North Koreans, the Iranians — are abusing AI to find the weakest link in every country or in every critical asset in order to penetrate it.” “We believe that the next supernations are going to be countries that know how to secure their national data and leverage cyber, AI and quantum [computing],” Hulio said. Dream Security was founded in January 2023 by Hulio, months after he stepped down as CEO of embattled cyber espionage firm NSO Group, which he co-founded; former chancellor of Austria Sebastian Kurz; and Gil Dolev, founder and former CEO of Wayout Group, an intelligence-gathering company focused on IoT (Internet of Things) devices. Based in Tel Aviv and with offices in Vienna and Abu Dhabi, the startup said it has built an AI-native national cyber defense platform to defend against nation-state cyber threats; an autonomous AI security researcher that discovers vulnerabilities and helps governments identify weaknesses before attackers do; and a sovereign AI platform to help governments process and analyze fragmented national data using internally developed AI models. The new investment was co-led by Miami-based growth equity firm Bicycle Capital and Group 11, founded by Israeli-American venture capitalist Dovi Frances. Other participants in the funding round included US private equity firm Bain Capital Ventures; Singapore-based venture capital firm Antler; and New York-based private equity investment firm Tru Arrow Partners, alongside global investors. Hulio said that the capital injection will be used for future acquisitions, talent recruitment, and footprint expansion to the US and further into Europe. Dream said sales have more than doubled over the past two years to $300 million, amid growing demand for its software platforms by Western-allied governments and national cybersecurity organizations across Europe, the Middle East, and Southeast Asia. The cyber unicorn employs 350 workers, of whom 300 are based in Israel. “There is a new geopolitical landscape in a world that has become more insecure and in which there is a lack of trust towards big players like the US or China,” said Kurz. “Hybrid warfare has become more and more of a reality, and while there are countries like Israel that are used to real wars, there are plenty of countries in the world that are not, but they are affected by hybrid warfare, like cyberattacks, every day.” “Nations that want to control their future need the ability to operate advanced AI under their own authority, on infrastructure they govern, and in alignment with their own interests,” said Kurz. Hulio said the latest action by the US government invoking an order to cut access to powerful Mythos AI models for foreign nationals over national security concerns is a sign of the times, showing governments need a sovereign national language model to avoid dependence on companies such as Anthropic and OpenAI. Dream has been developing sovereign natural language models designed for government use for areas such as cybersecurity, intelligence, healthcare, and finance. To power these models without relying on public cloud software, the firm established its own secure, sovereign data center near Modiin earlier this year to train proprietary language models and domain‑specific AI systems. “Governments have huge amounts of data and they want to use AI but they can’t take their entire data and upload it to ChatGPT or upload it to Claude or Gemini because it’s sensitive information,” said Hulio. “Governments can’t rely on foreign nations, or foreign companies to deal with their data, or depend on technology they don’t control.” “They need to own their data, own their AI, and we provide them with AI language models that are built in Israel from scratch,” he added. Hulio emphasized that the firm does not have access to government information on which the models are trained at their data center. “Nobody has access to it, nobody can use it besides the government, and the most important thing, nobody can shut it down,” he said. Asked about the road ahead, Hulio said Dream is pivoting toward developing a software platform to allow governments to securely combine and deploy cyber, AI, and quantum technologies. The Times of Israel Community.

Actors involved

USIsraelIranRussiaChina

Sources

  • Sharon WrobelBy Sharon Wrobel

    Israeli cyber unicorn valued at $3 billion aims to help governments own and control their AI Founded by Shalev Hulio, former CEO of spyware firm NSO, and ex-Austrian chancellor Kurz, Dream Security looks to secure and protect government data in the AI cyber warfare race Sharon Wr

See this event through different lenses

Compare how Western, Iranian, Israeli, Global South, and Pro-Peace perspectives frame this event.

Compare Perspectives

Community Notes

Community Notes

Loading notes...

Related events

strikeUnverifiedUSIranRussiaUkraine
1 source

Why is Ukraine bombing Wildberries? Behind the aerial assault on Russia's Amazon Imagine if Amazon suddenly became a military target. That's essentially what's happening in Russia. Ukrainian drones have been repeatedly hitting Wildberries – the Russian equivalent of Amaz… More stories from New York Post Join the flipboard community Discover, collect, and share stories for all your interestsSign up More stories from Russia ‘Tremendous costs’: Can Trump stop other countries from trading with Iran?

Iran’s foreign minister has dismissed Trump’s latest threats, calling them a “diversion” from America’s own crisis.” US President Donald Trump has announced what he describes as the “most crushing economic operation” against Iran, as Washington ramps up pressure on Tehran and talks to end the war … Huge Russian strikes on Kyiv leave 17 dead as attacks spill over to Romanian and Moldovan territory Kyiv — At least 17 people have been killed and dozens wounded in a “massive” Russian attack on Kyiv and the surrounding region overnight and on Thursday, Ukrainian authorities said.

Attacks also bled into Moldova and Romania on Thursday. Romania said an explosive-laden naval drone believed to have been … Russia runs out of petrol at seven in 10 stations as fuel crisis worsens Ukrainian drone campaign on Russia's energy infrastructure has caused fuel shortages so severe that the Kremlin has admitted it.

Location: Tehran
strikeUnverifiedUSIsraelIranChina
1 source

New US carrier arrives in Mideast to relieve long-deployed ship The USS George Washington carrier strike group has arrived in the Middle East to replace the USS Abraham Lincoln, after reports of poor conditions aboard the long-deployed carrier. WASHINGTON: A new US aircraft carrier strike group has arrived in the Middle East, the US military announced Thursday (Aug 20), after conditions aboard a long-deployed carrier provoked fresh criticism of US President Donald Trump's war against Iran.

"The George Washington Carrier Strike Group is operating in Middle East during a scheduled deployment after arriving in the CENTCOM theatre yesterday," Central Command (CENTCOM), which oversees US forces in the Middle East, said in a post on X. The update comes just days after media reports on grim conditions aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln carrier - deployed since November 2025 - had created an unwelcome distraction for Trump in his attempt to sell the already unpopular war.

Several outlets, including specialist military publications, quoted relatives of crew members as saying that living conditions had deteriorated on the Lincoln, with food shortages and broken plumbing. Notably, there have been reports of several suicide attempts.

Trump dismissed the concerns but confirmed another carrier would swap out with the Lincoln. The Japan-based USS George Washington had been operating in the Pacific. Its transfer means there is no longer any US aircraft carrier in that region - a boon for an assertive China.

"The George Washington Carrier Strike Group is operating in Middle East during a scheduled deployment after arriving in the CENTCOM theatre yesterday," Central Command (CENTCOM), which oversees US forces in the Middle East, said in a post on X. The update comes just days after media reports on grim conditions aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln carrier - deployed since November 2025 - had created an unwelcome distraction for Trump in his attempt to sell the already unpopular war.

Several outlets, including specialist military publications, quoted relatives of crew members as saying that living conditions had deteriorated on the Lincoln, with food shortages and broken plumbing. Notably, there have been reports of several suicide attempts.

Trump dismissed the concerns but confirmed another carrier would swap out with the Lincoln. The Japan-based USS George Washington had been operating in the Pacific. Its transfer means there is no longer any US aircraft carrier in that region - a boon for an assertive China.

The Lincoln had departed California in November 2025 for duty in the South China Sea and was rerouted to the Middle East before US-Israeli attacks on Iran that began in late February. Source: AFP/fs Also worth reading Content is loading...

Location: Strait of Hormuz
strikeUnverifiedUSIranChina
1 source

USS George Washington replaces Lincoln amid crew stress concerns The USS George Washington has taken over in the Middle East as the USS Abraham Lincoln heads home after a record deployment. The handover keeps pressure on Iran-linked operations but briefly leaves Asia without a US carrier strike group.

The Asia-based USS George Washington has begun operating in the Middle East, replacing the USS Abraham Lincoln after a long deployment that drew scrutiny over reports of crew stress, poor mental health and shortages of food and hygiene products, the US military said on Thursday.

The change comes as the US keeps up operations linked to the Iran war, including a reimposed blockade on Iranian ports in the Strait of Hormuz. It also leaves Asia without an American aircraft carrier group for now, at a time when China has shown more signs of aggression.

US Central Command, which oversees American military operations in the Middle East, said on social media that the George Washington arrived in the region on Wednesday. It was not clear when the Abraham Lincoln would return to the US or whether it would make a port stop on the way, though the journey takes just over a month.

Concern has grown over the Lincoln's lengthy deployment, which included more than 250 uninterrupted days at sea, a record-setting stretch for the carrier. Reports from the ship pointed to crew stress, poor mental health and shortages of supplies, including food and hygiene products.

Several Democratic lawmakers have sought accountability from the Department of Defence over conditions aboard the Lincoln. Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth has said the reports were "completely misrepresented." Hegseth spoke with the Lincoln's crew last week, and Admiral Brad Cooper, head of US Central Command, visited over the weekend.

In an editorial published in The Wall Street Journal on Sunday, Cooper wrote that the crew had "delivered a performance for the ages, and now you are going home." In a statement issued after visiting the carrier, he praised its leaders for prioritising mental health and resilience, and said, "History will record this deployment as one of the most operationally intense and consequential of the modern era.

" Extended carrier deployments can put pressure on both sailors and equipment. Although renewed hostilities between the US and Iran have eased in recent weeks, the Navy is enforcing the reimposed blockade on Iranian ports in the Strait of Hormuz, and the Trump administration has not said how it plans to wind down the war.

Hegseth has said the US can maintain the blockade "indefinitely." President Donald Trump this week played down the reports about conditions on the Lincoln, which left its home port in San Diego in November and arrived in the Middle East in January. He described the nearly nine months at sea as a "good period of time", adding that "over the years, we've had them out there much longer.

" Trump also told reporters on Monday that he had spoken to a retired admiral over the weekend who said the Lincoln was "beautifully maintained and beautifully taken care of," though he did not name the officer. The George Washington has joined the USS George H.

W. Bush in the Middle East. That leaves Asia without a US carrier strike group for now, though the gap may be brief if the Navy sends another one in the next couple of months. The move highlights the strain of open-ended operations linked to Iran on some American sailors, analysts say, even as the Trump administration further retreats from the Asia-Pacific region and focuses on the Western Hemisphere.

Overall, the George Washington's arrival marks a handover in the Middle East as the Lincoln heads towards home after an unusually long deployment that triggered concern over crew welfare, while the US continues its Iran-related mission and temporarily leaves the Pacific without an American carrier strike group.

Location: Strait of Hormuz
strikeUnverifiedUSIsraelIran
1 source

The US State Department has approved the possible $4.5 billion sale of KC-46A aerial refueling aircraft and related equipment to Qatar, the agency announced on Thursday. The proposed Foreign Military Sale includes up to four KC-46A aircraft, eight PW4062 turbofan engines, radar warning receivers, laser transmitter assemblies and other equipment, according to a statement.

The agency said the proposed sale would reinforce Qatar’s strategic role in regional security and “will not alter the basic military balance in the region.” The announcement came as tensions have escalated in the region after the US and Israel launched a war against Iran in late February that killed thousands.

Tehran retaliated against US bases and assets in Gulf countries. Although the two sides reached a pact to end the war, they have continued to carry out periodic retaliatory strikes.

Location: Qatar