ConflictClarifier

2026 Iran-Gulf Crisis Tracker
CC
Events Archive
militaryMar 31, 2026

Republicans Eye Cutting Health Care To Pay For $200 Billion Iran War

Summary

WASHINGTON — Republicans might make new cuts to health care and food programs to pay for President Donald Trump’s war in Iran, as the party’s lawmakers search for ways to offset potentially $200 billion in war costs in an upcoming budget bill. Slashing aid to struggling Americans to pay for a foreign war would be contrary to Trump’s “America First” campaign message, but some Republicans seem oblivious to the contradiction — even as MAGA influencers raise alarms about the squandering of Trump’s political coalition. House Budget Committee Chair Jodey Arrington (R-Texas) has been talking about cutting more social programs the way Republicans cut $1 trillion from food assistance and Medicaid last year. “We have a war on a nuclear Iran that could be paid for by the president’s war on fraud,” Arrington said Monday on Fox Business. Republicans on Capitol Hill have used the word “fraud” to denote health and nutrition spending that wasn’t actually fraudulent, but that they believed went to people who didn’t deserve help — namely people who didn’t have jobs or who might struggle to fill out paperwork reflecting their employment status. The so-called One Big Beautiful Bill, which used the welfare cuts to offset part of the cost of tax cuts, was so unpopular that Republicans wound up giving it a new name: the “Working Families Tax Cut.” It’s hard to see how using the cuts to pay for a generally unpopular foreign war would make them any more popular. “It is ludicrous politics to go in and say, we’re going to take away your health care to pay for an unpopular, unjust, immoral war,” Bobby Kogan, a budget expert at the liberal Center for American Progress, told HuffPost. Democrats this week have seized on Republicans’ nascent budget plans. In a statement on Monday, Brendan Boyle (D-Pa.), the top Democrat on Arrington’s committee, noted that around 2 million Americans have already lost health insurance after Republicans refused to extend health insurance premium subsidies. Another several million will lose it as Medicaid cuts go into effect. “Now, Republicans in Washington want to rip health care away from even more people to fund Trump’s reckless war in the Middle East. It’s shameful,” Boyle said on social media. “More money for war. More money for ICE. Less money for health care,” quipped Senate Democratic leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.). Republicans are embarking on their next budget bill amid an impasse over funding for the Department of Homeland Security. Their plan is to fund the department using a special “reconciliation” process that sidesteps the Senate filibuster, so Democrats won’t be able to stop it. Republicans envision the bill as a catchall for various priorities, including war funding and maybe even voter fraud reforms. “The purpose of the second reconciliation bill is to make sure there is adequate funding to secure our homeland and to support our men and women in the military who are fighting so bravely,” Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) said in a statement last week. “More funding will mean they can complete the task assigned and keep America safe — which is money well spent.” But unifying the Republican conference around a bill they can all support will be easier said than done. Some GOP senators have voiced concerns about the scope of the package, preferring it be more narrowly focused on addressing issues affecting voters at home, like the ballooning cost of living. “We should try to address costs across the board,” Sen. Josh Hawley (R-Mo.) told HuffPost. “Whether it’s gas, premiums, out-of-pocket expenses, those are just surging ... if we’re gonna do reconciliation, we ought to make affordability issues our No. 1 focus for middle-class people.” Sen. Roger Marshall (R-Kansas) also threw cold water on the idea of including major voting changes in a reconciliation package, such as the SAVE America Act, because Senate rules likely wouldn’t allow it. “It’ll be a miracle for them to put this thing together,” Marshall told conservative podcaster Vince Coglianese on Tuesday. “How are we going to put the SAVE Act into a reconciliation bill?”

Actors involved

USIran

Sources

See this event through different lenses

Compare how Western, Iranian, Israeli, Global South, and Pro-Peace perspectives frame this event.

Compare Perspectives

Community Notes

Community Notes

Loading notes...

Related events

militaryUnverifiedRussiaUkraine
1 source

Dozens detained in Russia as only anti-war party struck from election Russia's Supreme Court rejected an appeal by the anti-war party Yabloko against a ban on it taking part in September's parliamentary elections. Minutes earlier, the party's prominent anti-war politician Lev Shlosberg was sentenced to 11 years and one month in a penal colony for "discrediting" the country's armed forces and "spreading false information" about them.

Yabloko was struck off the ballots earlier this month over accusations that the party publicly supports the "international LGBT movement", which Russia's Supreme Court designates as extremist. The party rejects the accusations. Yabloko was the only registered party to oppose Russia's full-scale invasion of Ukraine launched in 2022.

militaryUnverifiedRussiaUkraine
1 source

Kremlin critic jailed in Russia for 11 years for opposing the war in Ukraine Lev Shlosberg is a senior member of the Yabloko party which Russia has barred from the ballot in next month’s parliamentary election A Russian court on Monday convicted a prominent opposition politician for speaking out against the war in Ukraine and sentenced him to 11 years and one month in prison in the latest crackdown leading up to next month’s parliamentary election.

The verdict against Lev Shlosberg, a senior member of the Yabloko party, was another step by the Kremlin to stifle dissent since Russia invaded its neighbour in February 2022. Yabloko is the only official political party overtly opposing the war. In a separate ruling on Monday, Russia’s Supreme Court upheld its earlier decision to bar Yabloko from the ballot in the September 18-20 parliamentary vote, denying an appeal by the party.

The moves against Shlosberg and Yabloko highlight the Kremlin’s intolerance towards any criticism of the war, now in its fifth year. Shlosberg, 63, is Yabloko’s deputy chairman and served in the regional legislature of Pskov from 2016 to 2021. He stood trial in the city of Pskov, some 600km (370 miles) northwest of Moscow, on charges of “discrediting” and spreading “false information” about the Russian military.

The charges stemmed from a debate in which he called for ending the war and from posting on his Telegram channel a British tabloid front page featuring an image of a bloodied woman next to one of Russian President Vladimir Putin, with the headline: “Her blood … his hands.

” Shlosberg has rejected the charges as unfounded.

Location: Oman
militaryUnverifiedRussiaUkraine
1 source

Russian court jails a Kremlin critic for 11 years for opposing the war in Ukraine Russian court jails a Kremlin critic for 11 years for opposing the war in Ukraine Lev Shlosberg senior member of the Yabloko party, stands in the defendant’s box prior to a verdict in the case against him is delivered, in a court in Pskov, Russia, Monday, Aug.

17, 2026. (AP Photo) Lev Shlosberg, left, senior member of the Yabloko party, waves standing in the defendant’s box after a verdict in the case against him is delivered, in a court in Pskov, Russia, Monday, Aug. 17, 2026, with his wife Zhanna Shlosberg on the right.

(AP Photo) Lev Shlosberg, center, senior member of the Yabloko party, is being led out of the court room after a judge convicted him and sentenced him to more than 11 years in prison, in a court in Pskov, Russia, Monday, Aug. 17, 2026. (AP Photo) Chairman of the Appellate Board of the Supreme Court judge Vladimir Zaitsev, background center, his deputy Igor Zinchenko, and Judge Denis Tyutin, attend a reading of the court decision on an appeal against its ruling to bar the Yabloko party from the upcoming parliamentary elections, at the Russia’s Supreme Court, in Moscow, Monday, Aug.

17, 2026. (AP Photo/Pavel Bednyakov) Yabloko party leader Nikolai Rybakov carries a box with documents leaving the Russia’s Supreme Court after hearing an appeal on a lawsuit to bar the party from the upcoming parliamentary elections, in Moscow, Monday, Aug.

17, 2026. (AP Photo/Pavel Bednyakov) Yabloko party leader Nikolai Rybakov speaks to his supporters and journalists after hearing an appeal on a lawsuit to bar the party from the upcoming parliamentary elections, at the Russia’s Supreme Court, in Moscow, Monday, Aug.

17, 2026. (AP Photo/Pavel Bednyakov) A Russian court on Monday convicted a prominent opposition politician for speaking out against the war in Ukraine and sentenced him to 11 years and one month in prison in the latest crackdown leading up to next month’s parliamentary election.

The verdict against Lev Shlosberg, a senior member of the Yabloko party, was another step by the Kremlin to stifle dissent since Russia invaded its neighbor in February 2022. Yabloko is the only official political party overtly opposing the war. In a separate ruling Monday, Russia’s Supreme Court upheld its earlier decision to bar Yabloko from the ballot in the Sept.

18-20 parliamentary vote, denying an appeal by the party. The moves against Shlosberg and Yabloko highlight the Kremlin’s intolerance toward any criticism of the war, now in its fifth year. It was Shlosberg’s second trial in 2 years Shlosberg, 63, is Yabloko’s deputy chairman and served in the regional legislature of Pskov from 2016-21.

He stood trial in the city of Pskov, some 600 kilometers (370 miles) northwest of Moscow, on charges of “discrediting” and spreading “false information” about the Russian military. The charges stemmed from a debate in which he called for ending the war and from posting on his Telegram channel a British tabloid front page featuring an image of a bloodied woman next to one of Russian President Vladimir Putin, with the headline: “Her blood ...

his hands.” Shlosberg has rejected the charges as unfounded. It was the second trial for Shlosberg in the last two years. He has also been designated a “foreign agent,” a label that carries strong pejorative connotations in Russia and brings additional government scrutiny.

He was convicted of violating the foreign agent regulations. In December 2025, he was placed in pretrial detention on the new charges and has been behind bars ever since. He is one of several prominent Yabloko members in recent years to be jailed or designated a “foreign agent” as Kremlin pressure on the party has mounted.

Yabloko called the sentence ‘barbaric’ In his final statement to the court Friday, Shlosberg said that for 30 years, Russia has traveled “a path from hopes for freedom to the almost complete destruction of human and civil rights and freedoms.” He said the war in Ukraine has “changed the lives of every Russian citizen without exception,” and predicted that once its true death toll becomes known, “the entire country will shudder.

” Yabloko said Shlosberg received a “barbaric sentence” for “love of the Motherland and calls for a ceasefire.” In a statement on Telegram, the party said Shlosberg will appeal. Amnesty International denounced the verdict against Shlosberg. “His arbitrary prosecution and sentencing are blatant reprisals for exercising his right to freedom of expression to call for peace,” said Marie Struthers, the group’s Eastern Europe and Central Asia director.

“The Russian authorities must immediately and unconditionally release Lev Shlosberg and quash his conviction,” her statement added. “They must repeal legislation criminalizing peaceful anti-war expression, end the persecution of Yabloko members and supporters, and respect the rights to freedom of expression, association, peaceful assembly and political participation for all Russians.

” Supreme Court upholds removing Yabloko from the ballot In Moscow, the Supreme Court upheld its ruling of a week ago to remove Yabloko from the ballot in the election for the State Duma, Russia’s lower house of parliament, denying an appeal by the party.

The Central Election Commission in July had allowed Yabloko on the ballot along with 10 other parties. Young social media users and many Russian opposition figures in exile have since come out in support of Yabloko, urging voters to back the party, once a leading liberal voice in parliament that later lost its bloc of seats as the Kremlin tightened its grip on politics.

In recent years, Yabloko was the only registered opposition party that opposed Russia’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine. Its campaign slogans for this year’s election included, “For a ceasefire agreement, diplomacy and peace!” “Our goal is to prevent nuclear war!

” and “For a Russia free from fear and political repression!” Several Kremlin parties publicly assailed Yabloko for its anti-war stance after it got a slot on the ballot. The Motherland Party filed a lawsuit with the Supreme Court, demanding its removal from the ballot, accusing Yabloko of copyright infringement and exceeding campaign spending limits.

The party also viewed Yabloko’s stance on Ukraine as unlawful and tantamount to calling for the violation of Russia’s territorial integrity. Yabloko rejected these accusations, but the Supreme Court sided with the Motherland Party. As the court met Monday on Yabloko’s appeal, the party’s supporters gathered outside the courthouse and Russian media reported that several dozen people were detained.

Liberal politician Grigory Yavlinsky, who co-founded Yabloko in the 1990s and chairs its political committee, deplored the court’s ruling in an online statement. It marked “a serious, deepening crisis in the Russian political system and a lack of understanding of a desired future,” he said.

“People begin to feel this more acutely, regardless of their political views and positions,” he said, adding that Yabloko’s campaign “for peace and freedom” hit this particular “sore point.” Yabloko chairman Nikolai Rybakov told reporters after the ruling that the party will continue its fight by lodging a complaint to the Presidium of the Supreme Court and possibly going to the Constitutional Court.

“We achieved the main thing: The whole world knows how many people in Russia want peace, want to live normally and to raise children under a peaceful sky in their country,” Rybakov said. Regarding the prison term handed to Shlosberg, Rybakov said that “our feelings are with Lev and other political prisoners who have fought and are fighting for peace, for people to not die.

Location: Oman