ConflictClarifier

2026 Iran-Gulf Crisis Tracker
CC
Events Archive
diplomacyMar 31, 2026

Trump's ally slammed for sudden flip on Iran war after Disney disaster

Summary

Trump's warmonger Lindsey Graham slammed for sudden flip on Iran war to take heat off Disney trip disaster The Senate's biggest warmonger turned heads by coming out - against escalating the war in Iran. After weeks of encouraging the President to go to war on Iran, Senator Lindsey Graham is now telling Donald Trump to 'wind down' operations and work on a peace deal. Graham also teased a bigger goal that could be reached - having Saudi Arabia sign on to the Abraham Accords, which would normalize relations with Israel. 'Keep it up Mr. President,' Graham posted to X. 'Wind down the war and wind up efforts for a historic peace deal.' Graham didn't take escalation completely off the table, noting in the post that Iranian leaders would have to play ball. 'I support diplomatic efforts to end the conflict consistent with our military objectives, but it takes two to tango,' he wrote. But it still represented a major shift in tone from when Graham was cheering the President to 'take Kharg Island,' Iran's main oil hub, which would put American ground troops at risk. His critics quickly took note of the timing - as he tries to shift the news cycle off his highly panned trip to Disney World amid the partial government shutdown. Senator Lindsey Graham in a post Monday encouraged President Donald Trump to 'wind down' the war in Iran after previously cheering the President to 'take Kharg Island.' His comments came after being caught at Disney World amid the partial government shutdown South Carolina Senator Lindsey Graham was spotted walking through Space Mountain holding a bubble wand at Disney World in Orlando over the weekend, according to a report from TMZ Conservative columnist Lydia Moynihan said on CNN: 'Well, he went to Disney World this weekend, and I think he wants to bring some of that Disney magic back to Washington, D.C., clearly.' 'Look, I think one thing that's always been a hallmark of the right is ideological diversity, and I think it's good for conservatives to push back and make sure that President Trump is not in an echo chamber and that he's hearing what many in his base think, and so I'm glad to hear that articulated,' she went on. Before his Iran U-turn, conservative pundit Megyn Kelly tore into Graham for the optics of the trip. 'He's frothing at the mouth right now at the thought of thousands of our soldiers going over there,' she exclaimed on her SiriusXM show Monday. 'So what is Lindsey Graham doing to support those troops and the families who are preparing to put their lives on the line? He's at Disney World.' She also called out Graham for being a 'single man with no wife, children or grandchildren' noting he was talking around the Orlando park 'with a bubble wand.' 'There he is in the middle of Disney with a bubble wand. I'm sorry, but motherf***er! Look at him,' she said of the 70-year-old. TMZ had asked readers to send in pictures of members of Congress on vacation amid the partial government shutdown, which had left Transportation Security Administration workers without paychecks for weeks, resulting in airport chaos. TMZ obtained photographs of Senator Lindsey Graham visiting Disney World in Orlando over the weekend, amid a partial government shutdown that left TSA and other DHS workers unpaid for weeks Trump signed an executive order last week to pay TSA employees using a different bucket of money, but the standstill is ongoing on Capitol Hill. TMZ was able to obtain several photos of Graham walking around Disney World - including enjoying a breakfast at Chef Mickey's and walking through Space Mountain holding a bubble wand. Graham told the celebrity news site that Disney was just a stopover as he worked toward having Saudi Arabia sign the Abraham Accords. 'I was invited to a meeting in South Florida on Friday with Trump official Steve Witkoff,' Graham told TMZ. '[T]o talk about the possibility of normalization between Saudi Arabia and Israel.' 'I went to Orlando to meet friends after. I'm already back in South Carolina,' he added. Previously, Graham said that he was going to ask South Carolinians 'to send their sons and daughters over to the Middle East,' a comment that got swiftly rebuked by several Republicans, including those more aligned with Trump's non-interventionist MAGA movement. 'Washington's war machine is hard at work. They are trying to drag us into Iran to make it another Iraq. We can't let them,' GOP Representative Nancy Mace posted to X last week. 'And yes, when we say Washington's war machine, we mean Lindsey Graham,' said Mace, who's running for South Carolina governor. Senator Lindsey Graham announces his reelection campaign earlier this month in Columbia, South Carolina. Graham has received criticism for his Disney trip and for suggesting the US should escalate the war with Iran Republican Representative Anna Paulina Luna, a top MAGA ally of the President, slammed Graham for advocating for 'war everywhere.' 'NO BOOTS on the ground. If Senator Graham wants to go fight in a foreign conflict, let him be the first to volunteer,' Luna wrote. Meghan McCain, the daughter of the late Senator John McCain, who had been Graham's closest friend in the Senate, also went after him. 'Nothing like a single, childless, septuagenarian telling American mothers to send their children to possibly die in a war,' the mother of three posted to X earlier this month. Mace reveled in the news Tuesday, that Graham had changed his tune. 'A week ago Lindsey Graham was ready to sacrifice the lives of 7,000 marines invading Kharg Island,' Mace said. 'This week he wants to end the war.' 'I'm always ahead of the curve. Some people just take longer to catch up,' the gubernatorial hopeful posted. The Daily Mail reached out to Graham's office for comment. No comments have so far been submitted. Why not be the first to send us your thoughts, or debate this issue live on our message boards.

Actors involved

USIranIsrael

Sources

See this event through different lenses

Compare how Western, Iranian, Israeli, Global South, and Pro-Peace perspectives frame this event.

Compare Perspectives

Community Notes

Community Notes

Loading notes...

Related events

diplomacyUnverifiedUSIran
○ 1 source

Key points: Bitcoin diverges from US stocks as Trump says Strait of Hormuz “open” Data from TradingView showed BTC/USD building on the week’s gains as the S&P 500 bounced from 7,696, its lowest level since Aug. 4. BTC/USD four-hour chart. Source: Cointelegraph/TradingView This came after US president Donald Trump posted a map of the closed Strait of Hormuz oil route to Truth Social where it was labeled “new US territory.

” Both the US and Iran lay claim to control of Hormuz, with Trump threatening US ally Oman with military action over its plans to work with Iran on charging tolls to shipping traffic. In a subsequent post, Trump confirmed that further diplomacy with Iran was not on the agenda.

“There are no talks or conversations going on, or scheduled, with the Islamic Republic of Iran. The Naval Blockade remains in full force and effect. The Hormuz Strait is open and operating. All water mines have been removed or detonated,” he wrote. S&P 500 one-day chart.

Source: Cointelegraph/TradingView As on Monday, oil avoided major volatility, with WTI crude down 1% at the time of writing at $84 per barrel. US government bonds continued to show strain, with the 30-year yield hitting 5.34%, its highest since January 2007.

“Bond prices are sending warnings,” BNY Mellon analyst Geoff Yu wrote in a research note quoted by the New York Times. Yu said that the surge came as “investors demand more compensation for inflation risk,” while also attributing the upside to government borrowing.

US 30-year bond yields one-month chart. Source: Cointelegraph/TradingView BTC price faces crunch rebound test Updating X followers on BTC/USD, trader and analyst Aksel Kibar eyed the culmination of a potential reverse head-and-shoulders pattern at $62,300.

Related: Bitcoin price spike to $64.5K was ‘low-volume liquidity trap’: Analysis “If $BTCUSD is going to rebound, it has to come from here,” he argued on Monday. Kibar offered a $53,000 target in the event of the head-and-shoulders structure failing, with $76,000 a potential upside target should the rebound sustain.

BTC/USD one-day chart. Source: Aksel Kibar on X.com Previously, Cointelegraph reported that underwater investors were contributing to Bitcoin’s inability to break higher. Its rebound to $64,500 also stopped short of an overhead trend line, the 50-month exponential moving average (EMA).

This moving average is now in place as resistance at $65,827.

Location: Strait of Hormuz
diplomacyUnverifiedUSIran
○ 1 source

Trump says no talks underway with Iran, Hormuz blockade remains in place US president says no discussions are taking place or planned with Tehran and reiterates that the naval blockade of the Strait of Hormuz remains fully operational Washington: US President Donald Trump said on Tuesday that no talks are taking place with Iran and that no discussions are currently scheduled between the two countries.

In a post on his Truth Social platform, Trump also said the naval blockade of the Strait of Hormuz remains "in full force and effect." The president did not provide further details regarding US policy towards Iran or any potential future diplomatic engagement.

Trump's comments come amid continued tensions between Washington and Tehran and renewed focus on security and navigation through the Strait of Hormuz, one of the world's most important oil shipping routes.

Location: Tehran
diplomacyUnverifiedUSIran
○ 1 source

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said Tuesday that Iran had “won both the war and diplomacy,” claiming those who initially sought Tehran’s “unconditional surrender” later sought negotiations. Speaking at an event, Araghchi said Iran resisted for days against what he described as “the world’s largest apparent military,” alongside another army claiming military power and with the support of nearly all Western countries and some other states inside and outside the region, according to the Tasnim news agency.

“Those who were seeking unconditional surrender, shortly after the war began, begged for negotiations,” Araghchi said. He claimed Tehran initially rejected a ceasefire and continued fighting until reaching a point where the other side accepted a ceasefire and negotiations “on Iran’s terms.

” “We fought with strength, and we negotiated with strength,” he said, adding that many foreign ministers had told him: “You won both the war and diplomacy.” Araghchi’s remarks came after US President Donald Trump called on Iran on Monday to give up and “raise the white flag.

Location: Tehran
diplomacyUnverifiedUSIran
○ 1 source

- Iran demands US lift sanctions and return frozen assets to reopen Strait of Hormuz - Iran's Parliament Speaker warns closure of Strait continues until US ends military threats - Around 20% of global oil supply passes through the Strait, impacting energy security Iran has warned that the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the US meets a set of conditions, including the release of frozen Iranian assets, an end to oil sanctions and what Tehran describes as a US blockade and military threats.

Al-Arabiya English reported that Iran's Parliament Speaker and top negotiator Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf said the Trump administration must meet the conditions before Tehran considers reopening the strategic waterway. “Until the Trump regime removes the blockade, ends the wars across the region, returns Iran's stolen assets, lifts the oil sanctions, and ceases its military threats, the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed,” Ghalibaf said.

Until the Trump regime removes the blockade, ends the wars across the region, returns Iran's stolen assets, lifts the oil sanctions, and ceases its military threats, the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed. pic.twitter.com/fl2RrKnT1R— Seyed Mohammad Marandi (@s_m_marandi) August 18, 2026 Ghalibaf also warned that Iran was prepared to respond more forcefully depending on the actions of its adversaries.

ALSO READ: 'We Control Hormuz': Trump To Declare Strait As US Territory? Here's What President Says The comments add a new condition to an already fragile diplomatic environment, with the Strait of Hormuz at the centre of concerns over global energy supplies.

Around one-fifth of global oil supply typically passes through the waterway, making any prolonged disruption a major risk for crude markets, shipping and energy security. Earlier, Press TV reported that Ghalibaf is scheduled to travel to Baghdad on Wednesday at the head of a high-level Iranian delegation for discussions with Iraqi leaders.

The talks are expected to cover regional developments and bilateral cooperation, including border security, counterterrorism, economic ties and implementation of existing agreements. Iraqi media have also reported that the agenda could include a proposal concerning Iraqi oil exports through the Strait of Hormuz.

The visit comes as regional governments grapple with the implications of continued disruption in one of the world's most important energy corridors. ALSO READ: Hormuz Tensions: Another Ship Hit By Unknown Projectile, Says UKMTO Centre The security situation in the waterway has also remained tense.

The UK's Maritime Trade Operations agency, or UKMTO, said a vessel reported being struck by an unknown projectile while conducting an outbound transit of the Strait of Hormuz. “The Company Security Officer has reported that the vessel was struck by an unknown projectile while conducting an outbound transit of the Strait of Hormuz,” UKMTO said.

The impact damaged the vessel's engine room and resulted in a crew casualty, the agency said. The remaining crew was being assisted by the Omani coastguard. Essential Business Intelligence, Sharp Market Insights, Practical Personal Finance Advice, Daily Fuel, Gold and Silver Prices and Latest Stories — On NDTV Profit.

Location: Tehran