ConflictClarifier

Rastreador de la Crisis Irán-Golfo 2026
CC
Events Archive
strikeAug 21, 2026

US blockade cuts Iran oil exports, squeezing Chinese crude buyers | The Jerusalem Post

Summary

Offers of Iranian crude to Chinese buyers have declined and prices have jumped this week as the US blockade has cut Tehran's shipments, according to trade sources, with the threat of more sanctions from Washington looming. The US re-imposed its blockade of Iran's shipping and ports on July 13 as a deal to halt the war between them broke down in an attempt to cut off oil sales - Tehran's primary source of hard currency - compounding earlier losses from wartime strikes on its energy infrastructure. The number of offers for Iranian oil cargoes to China for September and October delivery has declined from July and August cargoes, four trade sources familiar with the matter said. The offers have declined as barrels already in ships on the water have been sold, they said. Iran's oil exports have fallen since mid-July, with no visible crossings of the Strait of Hormuz by supertankers carrying Iranian crude since then, according to data from ship-tracking company Kpler, although many vessels turn off their location transponders, making them difficult to track. The squeeze threatens a key feedstock for independent refiners, known colloquially as teapots, located in China's eastern province of Shandong, which account for about a fifth of China's refining capacity and are the top buyers of sanctioned oil. Three of the trade sources said some Iranian crude, typically sold at discounts, was being offered at premiums to ICE Brent futures, with one source citing a premium of about $2 a barrel. That was an abrupt shift as cargoes of Iranian Light were being offered earlier this week at a discount of around $3 a barrel, the same as a month earlier. Iranian crude held in floating storage outside the US blockade zone has fallen to about 80 million barrels from about 105 million barrels before the blockade was reinstated, Kpler data showed. Two of the sources estimated that only about 30 million barrels of Iranian crude remained in Asian waters, half of the usual levels. Kpler Senior Crude Oil Analyst Muyu Xu estimated there are 40 million barrels of Iranian oil held on ships in Malaysian waters east of Singapore, though most of that has been promised to buyers. "This suggests buyers could face virtually no new Iranian supplies available for late-September delivery onwards since no laden Iranian tankers have so far managed to break through the US blockade," she wrote in a LinkedIn post on Friday. Uncertain supply With the uncertainty over Iranian supplies, one teapot bought Brazil's Lapa crude this week, while others were looking at Iraq's Basrah crude, two of the sources said. "Given the thin Iranian availability amid the US blockade, Chinese teapots are now looking beyond Russia and Iran," said Sun Jianan, a senior oil analyst at Energy Aspects. China's Iranian oil imports have dropped from a year ago following the start of the US-Israeli war on Iran in February that has cut Middle Eastern oil exports. Shipments fell to 785,000 barrels per day in June, the lowest since February 2023, provisional data from analytics firm Kpler showed. Imports in July likely rose to 823,000 bpd but the intake so far in August has dropped to 534,000 bpd, the data showed. Last year, China's Iran purchases averaged 1.4 million bpd, according to Kpler. Wary of sanctions On Thursday, US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent threatened Iran with "the toughest sanctions in history," with details to come on Monday, to pressure Iran to reopen the Strait of Hormuz and end the war. That has China's independent refiners on alert for further sanctions targeting specific buyers, a source at one of the plants said. However, the source said new sanctions were unlikely to significantly deter purchases, noting that refiners which have been previously sanctioned continued processing Iranian oil. China, the world's biggest crude importer, buys more than 80% of Iran's shipped oil, according to 2025 data from Kpler. Beijing has said it rejects unilateral sanctions, and a Chinese foreign ministry spokesperson said on Thursday sanctions will not solve the conflict.

Actors involved

USIsraelIranRussiaChina

Sources

  • CurrentsAPI

    Offers of Iranian crude to Chinese buyers have declined and prices have jumped this week as the US blockade has cut Tehran's shipments, according to trade sources, with the threat of more sanctions from Washington looming. The US re-imposed its blockade of Iran's shipping and por

See this event through different lenses

Compare how Western, Iranian, Israeli, Global South, and Pro-Peace perspectives frame this event.

Compare Perspectives

Community Notes

Community Notes

Loading notes...

Related events

strikeUnverifiedUSIsraelIran
1 source

Security sources said on Friday that the chances of expanding the military confrontation with Iran in the near term have decreased, following a series of meetings and discussions with senior US officials. According to the officials, US President Donald Trump’s decision to impose another harsh package of economic sanctions is intended to “buy time” until after the US midterm elections.

Accordingly, the IDF will increase its level of preparedness for the worst-case scenario of renewed strikes against Iran across all areas: intelligence, weapons procurement, interceptor production, target bank development, and Air Force readiness for both defensive and offensive operations.

At this stage, it is unclear whether the US will succeed in deterring and forcefully pressuring countries that support the Iranian regime, either directly or indirectly, through oil trade, bank accounts, money transfers, raw materials, and other means.

Security officials said that without extreme decisions and aggressive American enforcement, the US president will not achieve the desired outcome. Meanwhile, the defense establishment fears that without government intervention and a rapid legislative process to increase the budget deficit framework, it will not be possible to carry out rapid procurement of various types of munitions that serve as the foundation for high-intensity warfare, as well as advance procurement of fighter aircraft squadrons and additional advanced weapons systems.

Netanyahu responsible for final decision on Iran war Additional discussions between the IDF, the Defense Ministry, and the Finance Ministry will take place early next week in order to advance the process. A security official said that the person ultimately responsible for making the decision on the matter is the prime minister, who must advance legislation in the Knesset before the recess; otherwise, the consequences will be strategic.

Amid Trump’s announcement of economic sanctions against Iran, which he called “D-Day,” the spokesperson for Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps sent a sharp message and claimed that if the war resumes, “we will use more destructive weapons.” He added that “the warheads used on Iranian missiles are far more destructive than those used in previous wars.

Iran’s weapons will be completely different in every respect if another war breaks out.

Location: Jerusalem
strikeUnverifiedUSIranProxy
1 source

Houthis Claim Fourth Attack On Saudi Aramco Refineries This Month

Yemen's Houthis, or the Ansar Allah movement, released a statement Thursday announcing new military operations against Saudi Arabia which targeted an Aramco facility and an airport in Najran province, saying that forces "carried out two military operations using two drones."

"The first targeted a sensitive target belonging to the Saudi enemy at Najran Airport, while the second targeted Aramco in Najran. Both operations successfully achieved their objectives, by God’s grace," the Houthi statement declared. LinkedIn/Reuters

Najran is a mid-sized city of around 400,000 and is located in southwest Saudi Arabia, bordering Saada province in northwest Yemen. The Saudis didn't immediately acknowledge the attack, or whether there's been damage or casualties from the launches has not been quickly forthcoming.

The Houthis are still complaining of Saudi airspace violations, while in the midst of a "siege for siege" operation.

The day prior the Houthis laid out three objectives imposed on the Saudis:

The first was described as “siege for siege,” referring to Ansarallah’s declared naval restrictions against Saudi shipping. The second involved “striking Saudi troop buildups wherever they are,” while the third centered on “protecting Yemen’s sovereignty and confronting any enemy incursions.” Ansarallah stated that its naval measures had imposed a tight blockade on Saudi interests, asserting that “not a single ship can pass through.” Aramco facilities have been targeted several times over the past weeks, since the Saudi-Houthi conflict erupted again.

Iran has of late been much more open in boasting that its Yemeni ally is doing damage on US allies in the region.

For example, Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) spokesman Brig. Gen. Hossein Mohebbi told the semiofficial Mehr News Agency this week that the kingdom cannot defeat the group.

"How can Saudi Arabia, whose military capability is less than that of the Zionist regime, be able to cope with Ansar Allah and the Yemeni fighters? This is not possible," he said.

The Thursday attack marks the fourth offensive on Aramco facilities this month...

🎯 🇸🇦Aramco has now been targeted by claimed Houthi drone strikes 3 times in 11 days. Jizan refinery caught fire on August 9 (Saudi confirmed the fire, not the cause). Najran was hit August 14. Houthi spokesman Yahya Saree is now claiming a third strike on Aramco… pic.twitter.com/aaiDLuLU8X — Jack Prandelli (@jackprandelli) August 20, 2026 Like the Iranians, the Houthis have some natural leverage given the geography of oil transit chokepoints. Al Monitor observes this week: "Traffic in the Bab al-Mandeb Strait, which connects the Red Sea to the Gulf of Aden, may be on the rebound despite the Houthi blockade. The shipping data firm Kpler said 46 vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, up 53% from the day prior. Around 50 ships typically crossed before the recent escalation.

It notes further, "Saudi Arabia has been rerouting oil exports through the Red Sea in response to the disruptions in the Strait of Hormuz."

Tyler Durden Fri, 08/21/2026 - 02:45

Location: Strait of Hormuz
strikeUnverifiedUSIranChina
1 source

NEW YORK (AP) — Nearing the six-month mark of the Iran war and facing diminishing stockpiles of key weapons, the Trump administration is touting a crushing financial campaign against Tehran, promising an “economic D-Day” against a country that has so far withstood nearly five decades of punishing American sanctions.

With sparse details, President Donald Trump announced this week that the U.S. would be imposing an “unprecedented” level of economic warfare and isolation on Iran, aiming to force its leadership to cave to demands to end its nuclear program and fully reopen the crucial Strait of Hormuz to oil and natural gas tankers.

It reflects the dire reality Trump faces with an increasingly unpopular war he can't seem to end just months before pivotal midterm elections that will decide whether his Republican Party keeps control of Congress. Whether out of desperation or strategy, the president is refocusing America's might on bringing Iran to its knees through an accelerated sanctions campaign against one of the most economically penalized countries in the world.

The immediate response from Iran hawks has been praise and a call for patience as it plays out, while other analysts warn that Trump is refusing to learn the lessons of his predecessors. In an interview Thursday on CNBC, Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent offered a small glimpse of what may be ahead, threatening secondary sanctions on nations and companies that conduct business with Iran.

He did not say exactly whom would be targeted as part of this next phase of the administration’s “ Operation Economic Fury, ” which earlier had focused on entities and individuals that buy oil from or bank with Iran. China and India, however, are major buyers of Iranian oil.

“If you insist on doing business with them, then the U.S. Treasury and U.S. government will put its full might and force against you,” Bessent said. “It’s time for our allies and the rest of the world to make a decision." Some experts see ‘uncharted waters’ that could force Iran's hand Despite decades of U.

S. sanctions against Iran, the Trump administration is arguing that it’s only a matter of time and that striking the right economic target would get Tehran to its breaking point. Richard Goldberg, who coordinated efforts to put diplomatic pressure on Iran in Trump's first term, said the consequences of U.

S. strikes on Iran's nuclear sites last year, the war this year and the American naval blockade on Iranian ports have created the perfect storm for capitulation — one that didn't previously exist. “I think we’re watching a strategy, whether it takes a short time or a long time, that is very much about fundamentally changing the future of the world by seeing the end of this regime," said Goldberg, who is now at the hawkish Washington think tank Foundation for Defense of Democracies.

“I caution everyone — including myself, who has worked on sanctions, who’s worked on financial warfare — to have the humility to admit that we are in uncharted waters,” he said. He said the decision this week by the United Arab Emirates — once one of Tehran's most important trading partners — to suspend trade with Iran over an alleged missile attack will only further isolate the government.

Beyond trade in domestically produced goods, the Emiratis had helped the country absorb some of the shocks caused by sanctions through its re-export hub. Targeting allies and partners comes at a price With nearly all of Iran's energy, financial and transportation sectors already covered by U.

S. sanctions, Trump’s aim appears to be to apply secondary sanctions on countries, including allies and partners, that have not cut all ties with Iran to starve the country of any remaining income it may still be receiving. In many ways, it is a redux of Trump’s first-term “maximum pressure” campaign, which he has ramped up during his second term to include military action.

But as Trump and his allies discovered during his first administration, it can be difficult to enforce secondary sanctions without harming U.S. interests and provoking reciprocal measures. There were numerous instances of the administration granting sanctions waivers to countries, particularly those that rely on Iranian oil for their energy needs.

“Trump’s strategy now rests on targeting Tehran directly by impeding its touch points and access to the formal financial system and international economy,” said Behnam Ben Taleblu, senior director of FDD’s Iran program. “This will require making the Iran issue more important in U.

S. bilateral relations with countries in Europe and Asia.” Iran doesn't see an ‘open door’ at the end of the sanctions campaign Iranian officials and analysts have accused the Republican president of flip-flopping with his latest pivot to economic pressure against Iran.

Trump has long derided past leaders who used sanctions to limit Iran’s ability to pay for its military and nuclear development. In a post last week on X, Esmail Baghaei, spokesman for Iran’s Foreign Ministry, wrote that Washington's pattern of retreating to sanctions when it doesn't want to pursue diplomacy has proven to be futile.

“Iran has demonstrated over decades that it will not be strangled by these exhausted refrains,” he said. “The real risk is that American politicians, clinging to this bad habit, will instead strangle their own remaining chances of a less humiliating exit from a crisis of their own making.

” Ali Vaez, Iran director at the International Crisis Group, said the Trump administration's decision to take its own “maximum pressure” policy to new heights with military action seems to ignore years of U.S. foreign policy lessons that show Iran does not respond well to pressure.

If anything, he says, the latest economic campaign has only “hardened Iran's position.” “I think (Trump's) blind spot is the fact that the only thing that the Iranian regime views as more dangerous than suffering from U.S. sanctions is surrendering to U.

S. terms," Vaez said. Plus, the past year of start-stop diplomacy has only worsened the already fragile dynamic between the longtime adversaries, Vaez says, adding that Iranian officials' lack of trust in Trump and his mediators has created an untenable foundation.

“They believe that even if they capitulate to U.S. terms under economic duress, Trump would move the goalposts and ask for more,” he said. “And this is really the fundamental problem: Pressure without an open door is an exercise in futility.” ___ Associated Press writers Matthew Lee and Fatima Hussein in Washington contributed to this report.

Location: Tehran
strikeUnverifiedUSIsraelIranChina
1 source

A new US aircraft carrier strike group has arrived in the Middle East, the US military announced on Thursday, after conditions aboard a long-deployed carrier provoked fresh criticism of US President Donald Trump's war against Iran. "The George Washington Carrier Strike Group is operating in Middle East during a scheduled deployment after arriving in the Centcom theatre yesterday," Central Command (Centcom), which oversees US forces in the Middle East, said in a post on X.

The update comes just days after media reports on grim conditions aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln carrier – deployed since November 2025 – had created an unwelcome distraction for Trump in his attempt to sell the already unpopular war. Several outlets, including specialist military publications, quoted relatives of crew members as saying that living conditions had deteriorated on the Lincoln, with food shortages and broken plumbing.

Notably, there have been reports of several suicide attempts. Trump dismissed the concerns but confirmed another carrier would swap out with the Lincoln. The Japan-based USS George Washington had been operating in the Pacific. Its transfer means there is no longer any US aircraft carrier in that region.

The Lincoln had departed California in November 2025 for duty in the South China Sea and was rerouted to the Middle East before US-Israeli attacks on Iran that began in late February.

Location: Iran