Iranian leaders threaten to bomb British base on Cyprus if the U.S. steps up the war - See more Daily Mail on Google - save us as a Preferred Source Iranian leaders are preparing to resume attacks on a British base in Cyprus should Donald Trump escalate the conflict.
RAF Akrotiri, a centre for UK air operations in the region, was struck by an Iranian drone in March â damaging a hangar and causing a political row. Then-prime minister Keir Starmer faced questions from the Cypriot government over its failure to protect the base situated near the tourist hub of Limassol.
It emerged on Wednesday Iran is considering attacking the base and US military sites in Europe. Cypriot officials responded by appealing to Iran not to strike the Mediterranean island. A Cypriot government source said: 'We are in contact with Iran, and Cyprus is not a target.
' The Ministry of Defence insisted the security of the base, its personnel and their dependants were 'our highest priority'. A spokesman insisted RAF Akrotiri was protected by 'robust, multi-layered security measures'. Soldiers prepared to board an aircraft in April 2023 at RAF Akrotiri which was bound for Sudan An Iranian drone hit the RAF Akrotiri base in Cyprus, pictured, in March At the beginning of the conflict families of personnel at Akrotiri were forced to abandon their homes due to the Iranian aerial threat.
Labour was lambasted at the time for leaving UK service personnel and partners and children so vulnerable, and for failing to deploy a Royal Navy warship to defend Cyprus. According to a report in the Financial Times, Iranian forces are also considering US military targets in eastern and southern Europe.
It follows the US President threatening to resume attacks on Iran's civilian infrastructure. Iranian insiders told the Financial Times the country would place 'no limits' on its response should the US attack its natural resources, energy plans and transport networks.
They said Iran would defend itself 'at any price' including 'going beyond the region and hitting Europe, too'. Experts say Iran's tactic is to attack countries, such as Cyprus, that host bases but are opposed to the conflict in the hope it will call for an end to war, as Jordan did when its US bases came under fire.
Iran could also target under-sea cables in the region as hardliners in its government push for a tougher stance against the US and its allies. Diplomatic efforts to reopen the Strait of Hormuz and resume negotiations over a broader agreement to end the war have so far failed to produce a breakthrough.
The US is exerting financial pressure on Iran by blockading its ports. Last night, the United Arab Emirates said it was suspending trade with Iran.