ConflictClarifier

2026 Iran-Gulf Crisis Tracker
CC
Events Archive
diplomacyApr 14, 2026

Donald Trump draws a red line in Hormuz. Will China dare cross it?

Summary

Also Read: The Hormuz blockade is as much about China as Iran A blockade aimed at more than Iran The blockade is targeted at Iran but that's not its only target. A Bloomberg analysis argues that the move is as much about China as Iran, pointing to China’s continued purchases of Iranian crude despite past US sanctions. "The calculus in Washington appears twofold: First, impose an intolerable economic cost on Iran; second, force China to share some of the pain. If Beijing has more at stake, perhaps it will put pressure on Tehran to negotiate, or so the theory goes," says the Bloomberg analysis. Trump has already urged China to switch to US oil exports, effectively turning a military move into an economic lever. "China can send their ships to us. China can send their ships to Venezuela," Trump said on Fox's "Sunday Morning Futures". Earlier, on Saturday, he claimed in a social media post that "empty oil carrying ships from many nations are all heading to the United States of America to LOAD UP with Oil." This dual-track strategy suggests the blockade is not only about coercing Iran back to the negotiating table, but also about reshaping global energy flows in America’s favour. By targeting shipping through Hormuz, the US is exerting pressure on the very arteries that sustain China’s energy security, trying to force China to reconsider its oil import strategy. Also Read: 'Don't meddle in our affairs': China backs Iran, warns US against interference China’s oil dependence meets strategic restraint China’s dependence on Gulf oil is significant enough to unsettle it. It is among the economies most exposed to supply shocks. China’s warning that the blockade of Iranian ports is "dangerous and irresponsible", adding it would only aggravate tensions, indicates a very measured reaction at this stage. China doesn't seem to be panicking. Bloomberg has reported that China has built up sufficient inventories of Iranian crude, giving it a short-term cushion against disruptions. As per the Bloomberg report, there are about 38 million barrels of Iranian oil on vessels in Asia, with more than a third of the ships anchored in the Yellow Sea off the Chinese coast, data compiled by Kpler Ltd. shows. Overall crude inventories in Shandong province — home to most of the country’s independent processors known as teapots — have also swelled and are near the highest this year, according to OilChem. Iranian crude stored at sea provides teapots with about two-and-a-half months of supply, Emma Li, the Singapore-based lead China market analyst at Vortexa Ltd, told Bloomberg. The nation’s imports from Iran climbed to a record 1.8 million barrels a day last month, she added. This reduces China's urgency for immediate confrontation and may explain the measured tone of China’s official response, which has focused on calls for restraint rather than outright defiance. The South China Morning Post has reported that Trump’s blockade could potentially derail Trump's coming summit with Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping on May 14-15. The blockade “forces Beijing into a political dilemma it has spent the entire war trying to avoid”, Jesse Marks, founder of Rihla Research and Advisory, a Washington-based consultancy focused on the Middle East, told SCMP. “The longer the blockade holds, the harder it becomes for China to maintain its posture of strategic ambiguity between Washington and Tehran.” This context reinforces the idea that China has incentives to avoid escalation, at least publicly. Testing the waters without crossing the line Despite official caution, developments at sea tell a more ambiguous story. As per a Reuters report, a Chinese sanctioned tanker, Rich Starry, would be the first to make it through the strait and to exit the Gulf since the blockade began, data from LSEG and Kpler showed. The tanker and its owner Shanghai Xuanrun Shipping Co Ltd were sanctioned by the US for dealing with Iran. Rich Starry is a medium-range tanker that is carrying about 250,000 barrels of methanol, according to the data. It loaded the cargo at its last port of call, the UAE's Hamriyah, the data showed. The Chinese-owned tanker has Chinese crew on board, the data showed. The incident does not amount to a direct confrontation, but it does raise questions about enforcement and compliance. This is where China’s approach may become more nuanced. Rather than openly challenging the blockade, China could allow commercial actors to probe its limits. Such actions create plausible deniability while still testing how far the US is willing to go. A negotiating tactic in disguise? There is also a growing view that the blockade may not be designed to last as suggested by the timing of the move, coming immediately after failed US-Iran talks in Islamabad. That sequencing can mean that the blockade is a pressure tactic rather than a long-term military posture. If that is the case, China’s strategy may be to wait it out. By relying on stockpiles and avoiding overt escalation, it can preserve its position while the US tests Iran’s response. Given its sufficient reserve of oil, China has the flexibility to ride out short-term disruptions. At the same time, Trump’s overt pitch for China to buy American oil indicates that he is already thinking beyond the blockade itself. The endgame may lie in negotiations that redraw supply relationships rather than in sustained maritime enforcement. The risk of miscalculation Even if neither side seeks escalation, the risks are evident. The passage of a Chinese-linked tanker through Hormuz shows how quickly the situation can move from signaling to confrontation. Each such incident increases the chances of miscalculation, especially in a narrow and heavily trafficked waterway. Without adopting a defiant posture, China is calling for dialogue and stability, but its economic interests are directly affected by the blockade. If disruptions persist for long, China can get impatient. For now, China appears to be walking a tightrope. It is neither accepting the blockade outright nor openly defying it. Instead, it is probing, hedging and waiting. Whether this evolves into a direct test of US resolve will depend on how long the blockade lasts and how strictly it is enforced. If the measure proves temporary, China may never need to escalate. But if it hardens into a sustained policy, the pressure to act will grow. (You can now subscribe to our Economic Times WhatsApp channel) (You can now subscribe to our Economic Times WhatsApp channel) Explore More Stories

Actors involved

USIranChina

Sources

  • SECTIONS Donald Trump draws a red lineBy SECTIONS Donald Trump draws a red line

    Also Read: The Hormuz blockade is as much about China as Iran A blockade aimed at more than Iran The blockade is targeted at Iran but that's not its only target. A Bloomberg analysis argues that the move is as much about China as Iran, pointing to China’s continued purchases of I

See this event through different lenses

Compare how Western, Iranian, Israeli, Global South, and Pro-Peace perspectives frame this event.

Compare Perspectives

Community Notes

Community Notes

Loading notes...

Related events

diplomacyUnverifiedUSIran
1 source

Key points: Bitcoin diverges from US stocks as Trump says Strait of Hormuz “open” Data from TradingView showed BTC/USD building on the week’s gains as the S&P 500 bounced from 7,696, its lowest level since Aug. 4. BTC/USD four-hour chart. Source: Cointelegraph/TradingView This came after US president Donald Trump posted a map of the closed Strait of Hormuz oil route to Truth Social where it was labeled “new US territory.

” Both the US and Iran lay claim to control of Hormuz, with Trump threatening US ally Oman with military action over its plans to work with Iran on charging tolls to shipping traffic. In a subsequent post, Trump confirmed that further diplomacy with Iran was not on the agenda.

“There are no talks or conversations going on, or scheduled, with the Islamic Republic of Iran. The Naval Blockade remains in full force and effect. The Hormuz Strait is open and operating. All water mines have been removed or detonated,” he wrote. S&P 500 one-day chart.

Source: Cointelegraph/TradingView As on Monday, oil avoided major volatility, with WTI crude down 1% at the time of writing at $84 per barrel. US government bonds continued to show strain, with the 30-year yield hitting 5.34%, its highest since January 2007.

“Bond prices are sending warnings,” BNY Mellon analyst Geoff Yu wrote in a research note quoted by the New York Times. Yu said that the surge came as “investors demand more compensation for inflation risk,” while also attributing the upside to government borrowing.

US 30-year bond yields one-month chart. Source: Cointelegraph/TradingView BTC price faces crunch rebound test Updating X followers on BTC/USD, trader and analyst Aksel Kibar eyed the culmination of a potential reverse head-and-shoulders pattern at $62,300.

Related: Bitcoin price spike to $64.5K was ‘low-volume liquidity trap’: Analysis “If $BTCUSD is going to rebound, it has to come from here,” he argued on Monday. Kibar offered a $53,000 target in the event of the head-and-shoulders structure failing, with $76,000 a potential upside target should the rebound sustain.

BTC/USD one-day chart. Source: Aksel Kibar on X.com Previously, Cointelegraph reported that underwater investors were contributing to Bitcoin’s inability to break higher. Its rebound to $64,500 also stopped short of an overhead trend line, the 50-month exponential moving average (EMA).

This moving average is now in place as resistance at $65,827.

Location: Strait of Hormuz
diplomacyUnverifiedUSIran
1 source

Trump says no talks underway with Iran, Hormuz blockade remains in place US president says no discussions are taking place or planned with Tehran and reiterates that the naval blockade of the Strait of Hormuz remains fully operational Washington: US President Donald Trump said on Tuesday that no talks are taking place with Iran and that no discussions are currently scheduled between the two countries.

In a post on his Truth Social platform, Trump also said the naval blockade of the Strait of Hormuz remains "in full force and effect." The president did not provide further details regarding US policy towards Iran or any potential future diplomatic engagement.

Trump's comments come amid continued tensions between Washington and Tehran and renewed focus on security and navigation through the Strait of Hormuz, one of the world's most important oil shipping routes.

Location: Tehran
diplomacyUnverifiedUSIran
1 source

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said Tuesday that Iran had “won both the war and diplomacy,” claiming those who initially sought Tehran’s “unconditional surrender” later sought negotiations. Speaking at an event, Araghchi said Iran resisted for days against what he described as “the world’s largest apparent military,” alongside another army claiming military power and with the support of nearly all Western countries and some other states inside and outside the region, according to the Tasnim news agency.

“Those who were seeking unconditional surrender, shortly after the war began, begged for negotiations,” Araghchi said. He claimed Tehran initially rejected a ceasefire and continued fighting until reaching a point where the other side accepted a ceasefire and negotiations “on Iran’s terms.

” “We fought with strength, and we negotiated with strength,” he said, adding that many foreign ministers had told him: “You won both the war and diplomacy.” Araghchi’s remarks came after US President Donald Trump called on Iran on Monday to give up and “raise the white flag.

Location: Tehran
diplomacyUnverifiedUSIran
1 source

- Iran demands US lift sanctions and return frozen assets to reopen Strait of Hormuz - Iran's Parliament Speaker warns closure of Strait continues until US ends military threats - Around 20% of global oil supply passes through the Strait, impacting energy security Iran has warned that the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the US meets a set of conditions, including the release of frozen Iranian assets, an end to oil sanctions and what Tehran describes as a US blockade and military threats.

Al-Arabiya English reported that Iran's Parliament Speaker and top negotiator Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf said the Trump administration must meet the conditions before Tehran considers reopening the strategic waterway. “Until the Trump regime removes the blockade, ends the wars across the region, returns Iran's stolen assets, lifts the oil sanctions, and ceases its military threats, the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed,” Ghalibaf said.

Until the Trump regime removes the blockade, ends the wars across the region, returns Iran's stolen assets, lifts the oil sanctions, and ceases its military threats, the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed. pic.twitter.com/fl2RrKnT1R— Seyed Mohammad Marandi (@s_m_marandi) August 18, 2026 Ghalibaf also warned that Iran was prepared to respond more forcefully depending on the actions of its adversaries.

ALSO READ: 'We Control Hormuz': Trump To Declare Strait As US Territory? Here's What President Says The comments add a new condition to an already fragile diplomatic environment, with the Strait of Hormuz at the centre of concerns over global energy supplies.

Around one-fifth of global oil supply typically passes through the waterway, making any prolonged disruption a major risk for crude markets, shipping and energy security. Earlier, Press TV reported that Ghalibaf is scheduled to travel to Baghdad on Wednesday at the head of a high-level Iranian delegation for discussions with Iraqi leaders.

The talks are expected to cover regional developments and bilateral cooperation, including border security, counterterrorism, economic ties and implementation of existing agreements. Iraqi media have also reported that the agenda could include a proposal concerning Iraqi oil exports through the Strait of Hormuz.

The visit comes as regional governments grapple with the implications of continued disruption in one of the world's most important energy corridors. ALSO READ: Hormuz Tensions: Another Ship Hit By Unknown Projectile, Says UKMTO Centre The security situation in the waterway has also remained tense.

The UK's Maritime Trade Operations agency, or UKMTO, said a vessel reported being struck by an unknown projectile while conducting an outbound transit of the Strait of Hormuz. “The Company Security Officer has reported that the vessel was struck by an unknown projectile while conducting an outbound transit of the Strait of Hormuz,” UKMTO said.

The impact damaged the vessel's engine room and resulted in a crew casualty, the agency said. The remaining crew was being assisted by the Omani coastguard. Essential Business Intelligence, Sharp Market Insights, Practical Personal Finance Advice, Daily Fuel, Gold and Silver Prices and Latest Stories — On NDTV Profit.

Location: Tehran