ConflictClarifier

2026 Iran-Gulf Crisis Tracker
CC
Events Archive
humanitarianMar 29, 2026

Hacked hospitals, hidden spyware: Iran conflict shows how digital fight is ingrained in warfare

Summary

WASHINGTON (AP) — As they fled an Iranian missile strike, some Israelis with Android phones received a text offering a link to real-time information about bomb shelters. But instead of a helpful app, the link downloaded spyware giving hackers access to the device's camera, location and all its data. The operation, attributed to Iran, showed sophisticated coordination and is just the latest tactic in a cyber conflict that pits the U.S. and Israel against Iran and its digital proxies. As Iran and its supporters seek to use their cyber capabilities to compensate for their military disadvantages, they are demonstrating how disinformation, artificial intelligence and hacking are now ingrained in modern warfare. The bogus texts received recently appeared to be timed to coincide with the missile strikes, representing a novel combination of digital and physical attacks, said Gil Messing, chief of staff at Check Point Research, a cybersecurity firm with offices in Israel and the U.S. “This was sent to people while they were running to shelters to defend themselves,” Messing said. “The fact it’s synced and at the same minute ... is a first.” The digital fight is likely to persist even if a ceasefire is reached, experts said, because it's a lot easier and cheaper than conventional conflict and because it is designed not to kill or conquer, but to spy, steal and frighten. Iran-linked groups are turning to high-volume, low-impact cyberattacks While high in volume, most of the cyberattacks linked to the war have been relatively minor when it comes to damage to economic or military networks. But they have put many U.S. and Israeli companies on the defensive, forcing them to quickly patch old security weaknesses. Investigators at the Utah-based security firm DigiCert have tracked nearly 5,800 cyberattacks so far mounted by nearly 50 different groups tied to Iran. While most of the attacks targeted U.S. or Israeli companies, DigiCert also found attacks on networks in Bahrain, Kuwait, Qatar and other countries in the region. Many of the attacks are easily thwarted by the latest cybersecurity precautions. But they can inflict serious damage on organizations with out-of-date security and impose a demand on resources even when unsuccessful. Then there's the psychological impact on companies that may do business with the military. “There are a lot more attacks happening that aren’t being reported," said Michael Smith, DigiCert's field chief technology officer. A pro-Iranian hacking group claimed responsibility Friday for infiltrating an account of FBI Director Kash Patel, posting what appeared to be years-old photographs of him, along with a work resume and other personal documents. Many of those records appeared to be more than a decade old. It's similar to a lot of the cyberattacks linked to pro-Iran hackers: splashy and designed to boost morale among supporters, while undermining the confidence of the opponent but without much impact to the war effort. Smith said these high-volume, low-impact attacks are "a way of telling people in other countries that you can still reach out and touch them even though they’re on a different continent. That makes them more of an intimidation tactic.” Health care and data centers have been a target Iran is likely to target the weakest links in American cybersecurity: supply chains that support the economy and the war effort, as well as critical infrastructure like ports, rail stations, water plants and hospitals. Iran also is targeting data centers with both cyber and conventional weapons, showing how important the centers have become to the economy, communications and military information security. This month, hackers supporting Iran claimed responsibility for hacking Stryker, a Michigan-based medical technology company. The group known as Handala claimed the strike was in retaliation for suspected U.S. strikes that killed Iranian schoolchildren. Cybersecurity researchers at Halcyon recently published the findings of another recent cyberattack targeting a health care company. Halcyon did not reveal the name of the company but said the hackers used a tool that U.S. authorities have linked to Iran to install destructive ransomware that shut the company out of its own network. The hackers never demanded a ransom, suggesting they were motivated by destruction and chaos, not profit. Together with the attack on Stryker, “this suggests a deliberate focus on the medical sector rather than targets of opportunity," said Cynthia Kaiser, senior vice president at Halcyon. “As this conflict continues, we should expect that targeting to intensify.” Artificial intelligence is providing a boost AI can be used both to increase the volume and speed of cyberattacks as well as allow hackers to automate much of the process. But it's disinformation where AI has really demonstrated its corrosive impact on public trust. Supporters of both sides have spread bogus images of atrocities or decisive victories that never happened. One deepfake image of sunken U.S. warships has racked up more than 100 million views. Authorities in Iran have limited internet access and are working to shape the view Iranians receive of the war with propaganda and disinformation. Iranian state-run media, for instance, has begun labeling actual footage of the war as fake, sometimes substituting its own doctored images, according to research at NewsGuard, a U.S. company that tracks disinformation. Heightened concerns about the risks posed by AI and hacking prompted the State Department to open a Bureau of Emerging Threats last year focused on new technologies and how they could be used against the U.S. It joins similar efforts already underway at agencies including the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency and the National Security Agency. AI also plays a role in defending against cyberattacks by automating and speeding the work, Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard recently told Congress. The technology, she said, “will increasingly shape cyber operations with both cyber operators and defenders using these tools to improve their speed and effectiveness,” Gabbard said. While Russia and China are seen as greater cyberthreats, Iran has nonetheless launched several operations targeting Americans. In recent years, groups working for Tehran have infiltrated the email system of President Donald Trump’s campaign, targeted U.S. water plants and tried to breach the networks used by the military and defense contractors. They have impersonated American protesters online as a way to covertly encourage protests against Israel.

Actors involved

Iran

Sources

  • DAVID KLEPPER, Associated PressBy DAVID KLEPPER, Associated Press

    WASHINGTON (AP) — As they fled an Iranian missile strike, some Israelis with Android phones received a text offering a link to real-time information about bomb shelters. But instead of a helpful app, the link downloaded spyware giving hackers access to the device's camera, locati

See this event through different lenses

Compare how Western, Iranian, Israeli, Global South, and Pro-Peace perspectives frame this event.

Compare Perspectives

Community Notes

Community Notes

Loading notes...

Related events

humanitarianUnverifiedRussiaUkraine
1 source

Russia maintains election ban on opposition Yabloko, jails deputy head Supreme Court ruling supports Kremlin’s clampdown ahead of September’s parliamentary vote. Russia’s top court has rejected an appeal by the anti-war Yabloko party against a recent ruling banning it from taking part in upcoming elections, while another court jailed its deputy leader for 11 years.

The opposition party confirmed on Monday that its appeal had failed. Opposition activists said the ban is evidence of the increasing erosion of Russia’s democracy and an attempt to silence opposition to the war in Ukraine. Recommended Storieslist of 2 items - list 1 of 2Russia-Ukraine war: List of key events, day 1,317 - list 2 of 2Russia bars only party opposing war in Ukraine from parliamentary vote The Supreme Court handed down the ban last week, removing the only registered political party calling for an end to the Russia-Ukraine war from the ballot in September’s parliamentary vote.

“The Appeals Chamber of the Supreme Court upheld the court’s decision to revoke the registration of Yabloko’s federal list of candidates for the State Duma elections,” the party said in a statement on Monday, adding that it would seek a supervisory review.

The case against Yabloko was filed by Rodina, a small pro-Kremlin nationalist party, which accused Yabloko of being backed by Western countries and seeking to undermine both the election process and Russia itself. Yabloko rejected the accusations, saying the party represented the views of millions of Russians and the ban effectively stripped away the only option for people opposed to the Ukraine war.

Deputy leader jailed On the same day as the party lost its appeal, another court sentenced Yabloko’s deputy leader Lev Shlosberg to 11 years and one month in a penal colony for his opposition to the war in Ukraine. Shlosberg was found guilty of harming the reputation of Russia’s armed forces and lying about them.

The conviction is based on legislation passed since Russia’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine in February 2022, which paves the way for lengthy terms for those found guilty of “discrediting” the military or deliberately spreading false information about the war.

As a result, few groups have openly criticised the conflict. But individuals such as Shlosberg, human rights campaigner Oleg Orlov and the late dissident Alexei Navalny spoke out against “tyranny and repression” from the dock with no realistic chance of acquittal.

In a defiant closing speech at the trial, Shlosberg labelled the war as a catastrophe for Russia. “The lives of countless thousands of people have been cut short during this time. Sooner or later, the precise and complete death toll – with names included – will be made public, and the entire nation will shudder at this list of martyrs.

” ‘Intimidation’ Police detained dozens of supporters and journalists who had come to listen to the court decision and took some to nearby police stations. “Many detainees today. We also see that the police officers are very nervous today,” Kirill Goncharov, head of Yabloko’s Moscow branch, told the independent outlet Novaya Gazeta.

In the courtroom, party leader Nikolay Rybakov called the detentions “intimidation”.

humanitarianUnverifiedRussiaUkraine
1 source

Russia's Supreme Court has rejected an appeal by the Yabloko party, the sole officially registered party to openly oppose Moscow's war on Ukraine, against its removal from the ballot for September parliamentary elections. In a separate hearing on August 17, a court in the city of Pskov sentenced an outspoken deputy chairman of Yabloko, Lev Shlosberg, to more than 11 years in prison after convicting of him under a law designed to punish critics of the war.

The rulings display the Kremlin's determination to silence dissent, particularly when it comes to the war, and suggest that President Vladimir Putin is unwilling to risk the possibility of a strong showing by a party that is calling for its end. The September 18-20 elections to the State Duma, Russia's upper parliament house, will be the first since Putin launched the full-scale invasion of Ukraine in February 2022.

Yabloko has made the slogan "For Peace and Freedom" central to its Duma campaign. The Central Election Commission unexpectedly registered the party for the balloting, but the Supreme Court sided with a nationalist party that alleged an array of violations including funding from abroad, copyright infringements, and extremism -- which Yabloko called "absurd" -- and barred Yabloko from the election in an August 10 ruling.

At the appeal hearing on August 17, Yabloko Chairman Nikolai Rybakov said the case hinged not on technicalities but on the ability of the state to uphold the rule of law in times of crisis. "We, the Yabloko party, demand that the electoral process be brought back into strict compliance with the law," Rybakov told the court.

"We demand respect for the constitution of the Russian Federation. We demand respect for the rights of millions of Russian voters who want to live, love, and raise their children in peace in Russia and therefore want to vote for the Yabloko party," he said.

Yabloko said at least 35 people who came to the Supreme Court in hopes of attending the hearing were detained by law enforcement authorities before it began. Among those was actor Viktor Balabanov, one of the party's candidates for a Duma seat, the party said.

Videos shared on social media showed several young people being escorted by police at the court. Only the parties involved in the case and journalists were allowed inside even though the Supreme Court hearing was supposed to be open to the public. In a brief statement on social media, Yabloko said it has the right to appeal to the Supreme Court's presidium and will do so soon.

Not long before the Supreme Court issued its ruling, the Pskov City Court convicted Shlosberg of discrediting and distributing false information about Russia's armed forces and sentenced him to 11 years and one month in prison. In his final remarks in the courtroom, Shlosberg maintained his innocence, accusing the authorities of political motivation in prosecuting him, and repeated his ardent criticism of the war.

"The lives of countless thousands of people have been cut short" by the war, he said, according to a transcript published by the news outlet Mediazona. "Sooner or later, the precise and complete death toll -- with names included -- will be made public, and the entire nation will shudder at this list of martyrs.

" "Today, cemeteries in our country, including military ones, are growing far more rapidly than maternity wards, kindergartens, and schools," said Shlosberg, who is one of the most prominent Kremlin opponents remaining in Russia.

humanitarianUnverifiedUSRussiaUkraine
1 source

WASHINGTON, August 17. /TASS/. US First Lady Melania Trump has facilitated the reunification of one more child who was separated from the family amid the Ukrainian conflict, according to a statement released by the White House press service. "First Lady Melania Trump facilitated the reunification of another child with her family on Monday, August 17, 2026, after being separated" during the conflict in Ukraine," it said, not specifying the child and the family’s citizenship.

"My representative and I are focused on helping facilitate the next reunification of individuals who have been separated from their loved ones because of the war between Ukraine and Russia," Melania Trump was quoted as saying. " "To date, First Lady Melania Trump’s efforts have facilitated the reunification of 34 children and families since she penned the Peace Letter to Russia’s President Vladimir Putin," it said.

Russian presidential children’s rights ombudswoman Maria Lvova-Belova earlier lauded Melania Trump’s contribution to the reunification of Russian and Ukrainian children with their families.

Location: Oman